HD converting ,what format is in....?

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I read that the Blu-Ray codec was a MPEG 2 HD in a forum comparison between it and the 360 ,i have a XILISOFT HD CONVERTER and it has that format.

My question is , will my PS3 with the latest firmware be able to play it ?
If not ,what is the format except the MP4 cause i already tried it to 1080P and it sucked so just tell me what is the better format for it?

Many thanks in advance!

Zach

MP4 is just a container, it has no bearing on the quality of the video, that is down to encoder settings. A shit job will be a shit job in any codec..

Blu-ray spec supports MPEG2 - but the actual Blu-ray HD codec is not MPEG2, its MPEG4.

The best codec for whatever you are watching, totally depends on the source material also.. trying to take Standard Definition content and encode it in a high definition resolution isn't going to do much except possibly bring out more junk and artifacts from the resizing UP. Just like when you zoom in on a picture in a low res (emulator screenshot) it gets crappier and crappier, same happens when you try to encode something in a higher resolution than the original source -although there are filters that can minimize that..

Anyway.. PS3 supports MPEG4, and should support MPEG2. It also supports Xvid and DivX. It should also support any of those files inside an MP4 file.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
You are absolutely right,from STANDART to HD i dont see any difference.

I am downloading Indiana Jones in BLu ray format .mkv and i also downloaded a sample and converted it with MKV2VOB and the quality is awesome.

Now my only problem is how to copy a 8GB file to my PS3? I heard it has a 4GB limit ,but some people say now it hasnt anymore ,still i haven't tried to copy files large than 2.5GB to it until now. Is it true that nothing can be done about its filesize limit?????

Zach

I have no idea to be honest.. I know very little about PS3. My brother said he couldn't even get his to play an MP4, which is odd. It has the latest updatests, etc also.

The only 4GB file size limit I have heard about is in relation to DivX encoded files. Which applies to anything that can play them. Don't know why it would have a general 4GB size limit though.

Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Ok man, the 4gb limit is because of the USB which is FAT32. I will try to figure out a way to split the files. thanks.