Greatest Console Ever

sickfool

N64: best console ever
I wonder if anyone would join me in naming their favorite console, and why.

So here we go, my favorite is hands down N64, it came out when I was 6, and that is no doubt the golden year of everyone's childhood.

So name your favorite console. Oh and if this has been done before...lololololololrofl:)

Jale

It's very, very difficult to say which console is the best one since there are many factors, better than others. Let's say, there are more powerful consoles than others, but the other has the best games, or one of them has the best controllers, but it sucks in performance, etc.

It's a matter of favoritism.

DudeJustDoIT

Lifeless pain...
I wonder if anyone would join me in naming their favorite console, and why.
Butters i think he means he would like to hear peoples opinions on which console is their favorite.

Well mine is the PSX. It has so many RPG's and Fighter games that i love. The best part of the FF series was for the PSX, The Chrono trigger + Cross games, BoF III & IV, Tekken, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legia.... And so on haha i think i only named about 10% of my fav games for the PSX.

My vote is the PSX.

Crazy!

Road Runner!
I think the SNES is wicked it's got loads of great platform games i.e mario allstars, super mario world, both brilliant games! But I love the N64 for highlights such as Zelda: Ocarina of time (best game ever made in my opinion!) and the PSX is great for it's Final Fantasy series but the best consoles in order of best ....:

1. Playstation - Final Fantasy series brings it to the top aswell as the Crash Bandicoot series and others but...

2. SNES - Mario series, Zelda, Donkey Kong series (Classic games!)

3. N64 - Mainly on the strength of The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time but does has a number of other wicked platformers i.e. Donkey Kong, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie etc (N64 is almost my No2!)

4. Playstation 2 + Gamecube - Both amazing consoles but can't do emulation for either of them yet so... If I could they might be a little higher but the games for all the above consoles are of such high quality that the graphics of PS2 and GC still couldn't compare.

5. Amiga/Commodore - I know it's unbelievably ancient but classic games including The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2: Lechucks Revenge, The Curse of Enchantia and some more make it an old enjoyable classic!

Last edited:

DudeJustDoIT

Lifeless pain...
4. Playstation 2 + Gamecube - Both amazing consoles but can't do emulation for either of them yet so... If I could they might be a little higher but the games for all the above consoles are of such high quality that the graphics of PS2 and GC still couldn't compare.

Dude this is about your favorite console not favorite emulated console.
If they are marked by emulation i would have a differen't favorite console,
that being the SNES, ZSNES is nearly flawless, no configuring and built in netplay.
It's the total package with as Alc and Butters said it has tons and tons of Fun Platformers and RPG's.

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Lol, I know, this is my best console list too!:D

And yeah I know ZSNES is almost perfect if not perfect!

Last edited:

belmont

It is very hard to choose.

I would choose PSone because of it's super RPG games and because of Castlevania SOTN.

I also like GBA (mainly do to my love for portable systems and because of the Castlevania games) and PSP (because it has almost perfect emulators for most old systems)

Zach

NES, hands down.

There would be no gaming industry as we know it today if it weren't for the little 8-bit box.

DudeJustDoIT

Lifeless pain...
NES, hands down.

There would be no gaming industry as we know it today if it weren't for the little 8-bit box.

Hrmm... Maybe...
So thats the only reason its your favorite?
Because it "Paved the way"?? Not gameplay or game choice?

cloud4004

Those are also good reasons that I agree with.

There where arcade systems before Nintendo, and Nintendo wasn’t even the first consol to make it into the home. I suppose it was the first "good" one, though you can't really say it "paved the way". Anyway, why else do you like it?

TheCreator

PlayStation 2 is a great all-rounder. A very respectable library of games, plenty of genres for everyone from the FIFA and WE/PES series to Japanese RPG's such as Final Fantasy.

Aside from that, the graphics are still respectable, even though the least powered in the 'Big Three' and had online functionality that actually got somewhere, is free and has a decent number of agmes online enabled, although no Xbox live and involved the addition of an adapter, although slim PS2's have integrated adapters.

The controllers are fantastic, the real criticism is the build quality as many owners have seen their PS2's suffer disc-read errors (mine had picture output problems, coming to a point where you had to stand on itto get picture on the tv) and seems a little overpriced compared to the Xbox now. But at least it's still in production and very widely used, seeing as the Xbox and Gamecube's are being cleared off the shelves with little new games present.

Zach

There where arcade systems before Nintendo, and Nintendo wasn’t even the first consol to make it into the home. I suppose it was the first "good" one, though you can't really say it "paved the way". Anyway, why else do you like it?

I suggest you do a little reading on something called the Video Game Crash of 1983

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

Before Nintendo came along the market was oversaturated with hideous games on systems like Atari, and the industry imploded. Atari and other consoles promised to bring Arcade games to the home, but they were nothing of the sort. They looked nothing like they did in the Arcades, they had HIDEOUS sounds that were the most annoying thing you could ever think of all rolled into one. Some games were decent, but the majority were crap. Anyone could make a game for an Atari system, crappy shit sat on shelves everywhere, no one was buying anything, and Atari didn't do anything worthwhile or innovative to improve the situation. That's why they went down in flames and survive today, as a name brand only.

Nintendo was the first console to bring Arcade quality gameplay, sound, and graphics into the average consumer household. They single handedly built an empire of an industry that simply would NOT be here today if it were not for their often criticized corporate practices and quality control.

It pains me every time I watch kids post crap about how their Playstation or other 3D console is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and everything else sucks. Not so much because they think that way, but because they don't bother to research the roots of gaming.

Nintendo is video gaming.

Last edited:

Xiedo

The controllers are fantastic,

Sony controllers are made out of cheap materials, they aren't well-contoured to the human hand, the buttons don't "click," and the analog sticks are out of place and have poor grip. They're passable, but they could be a lot better.

But at least it's still in production and very widely used, seeing as the Xbox and Gamecube's are being cleared off the shelves with little new games present.

It's a good thing they're still in production, having to be replaced every two years.

I agree PS2 has great games. :)

I vote for the SNES. Just for the memories.