Gov't wants into your laptop

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Published: Tuesday, May 27, 2008

OTTAWA -- The federal government is secretly negotiating an agreement to revamp international copyright laws that could make the information on iPods, laptops and other devices illegal, according to a leaked government document.

The deal could also force Internet service providers to hand over customer information without a court order.

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement would see Canada join the U.S. and the European Union in a coalition against copyright infringement.

Federal trade agreements do not require parliamentary approval.

Border guards and other public security personnel could become copyright police under the deal. They would be charged with checking laptops, iPods and even cellphones for content that "infringes" on copyright laws, such as ripped-off CDs and movies.

The guards would determine what infringes copyright.

The agreement says any copied content would be open for scrutiny -- even if it was copied legally.

"This will end up in the Supreme Court of Canada, if it goes forward," Darrell Evans, executive-director of the B.C. Freedom of Information and Privacy Association, said yesterday.

"Under the constitution, everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure.

"Where you draw the line to protect copyright is very dangerous. This would give security people, who could be designated as any policeman, more licence to pry into your data.

Read More Here

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=ac94392c-7e05-4e30-af00-f237e9c23a9d

JoshM22

I am back from Maui. I had a blast and will be writing a thread on that. Anyways heard about this one in the New York Times or something like that last week.

Now i really can see the governments reason for all this. Although illegal downloading is not causing a huge slump in record sales. If anything those people that want to support their favorite bands just use DL pirated MP3's to preview a song in full before buying the Vinyl or CD.

Gonna kinda go off subject here. As far as Itunes goes. I really think that they are ruining new fans of music. Lots of kids just download a 128 kbps MP3 from Itunes not knowing about how much better the quality is on another medium. My cousins have this outlook on music. I really pay attention to quality. I have a knack for hearing things in diff mixes and remasters of my favoirte albums.

Anyways back on subject. If music that have bought and decided to put on your Ipod to be looked at by the prying eyes of the GOV is plain BS! If you paid for it you should be aloud (legally) to put it on an MP3 device as long as you don't freely distribute the songs for your own self gain. Plain and simple. My opinon.

Zach

You can get nearly any bitrate you want off iTunes and other places that sell music and let you encode your own..

It's not worse than putting something onto a shitty cassette tape. That didn't ruin anything for anyone though. It's about personal taste in quality and how much storage space you have. It gives people GREATER freedom to tweak the quality of their music as they see fit.

Also, a 128kbps AAC (Itunes) is a lot better sounding than MP3

JoshM22

You can get nearly any bitrate you want off iTunes and other places that sell music and let you encode your own..

It's not worse than putting something onto a shitty cassette tape. That didn't ruin anything for anyone though. It's about personal taste in quality and how much storage space you have. It gives people GREATER freedom to tweak the quality of their music as they see fit.

Also, a 128kbps AAC (Itunes) is a lot better sounding than MP3

I guess it isn't ruining new fans of musics' outlook on quality. I really think that though to some degree. 128kbps is the quality of tapes, but yes Zach Itunes 128 kbps can sound very good depending on how worn your CD or Vinyl collection really is. Also it is better than a standard 128 kbps MP3. Much agreed on the quality thing. :) Most of my music on my Ipod is in 128 kbps-320 kbps. Haven't quite figured out how to Import my FLAC files yet.

Ana

I know this has nothing to do with the post but I order alot of Import CDs I'm waiting for the Gov. To tell me it's wrong to order music from another country do you think it could happen.

Zach

There's nothing wrong with it, otherwise you wouldn't be able to import it in the first place

Hrothgar

I think most people know my view on pirating copyrighted material (In the sense I don't really care), so I won't go into that. However, what I will go into is this.

Pirating music/software/movies/etc., is one thing. Going against the constitution is another. Everyone is entitled to their views on the morality of online pirating, but I think most people agree it does not warrant having our rights taken away from us. U.S.A. should hold up it's promise made in the constitution at any cost, because so many people have paid the cost over and over again for us to have that constitution.

Calixo

wait so your saying that the US already endorses this?

JoshM22

I find nothing wrong with buying imported CD's. Imported CD's and singles are much cooler to own than just having a regular album by your favorite artists.

I believe i have stated my stand on piracy on here, so no need to say it again.

We will just have to see if this goes into affect. I highly doubt that security at Border check points and Airports will be wasting their time going through your Laptop or Ipod. It would just be one more thing to hold people up when they are trying to GET SOME WHERE! I hear that this might take affect in Austraillia too. Glad to be in the good old USA. Hopefully this silly sheraid won't make its way to America.

Last edited:

Zach

US endorsement doesn't mean anything here, this is a Canadian issue.. We don't have a law like this in the USA as far as I know