General ePSXe Setup and Configuration

Mr. DNA

Cold be as simple as an old or slightly wonky .dll

I would google burutter.dll and the first option you get should be a direct link to download it from somewhere like dlldll.com

Grab it, and extract it into your ePSXe folder just to rule out a bad file. What OS are you running by the way.

Hmmm. Not exactly progress, but at least I'm getting a different error message now. I did what you instructed, and instead of the burutter error, I get:

"This application has failed to start because zlib1.dll was not found."

A case of looking for zlib1.dll and putting that into the ePSXe folder? It's endless!

EDIT; Oh, and I'm running Vista on a Core 2 Duo Laptop, 3 Gig Ram, Nvidia 9200M.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Yep. missing zlib1.dll is probably the most common support request with ePSXe. Just download it and bang it in the emulator root folder.

Mr. DNA

Yep. missing zlib1.dll is probably the most common support request with ePSXe. Just download it and bang it in the emulator root folder.

Bwahahahaha! Sweet sweet success! Another hic-up is inevitably around the corner, but I at least seem to have the emulator up and running instead of those horrible error messages.

Cheers, Trucker! :D

OUTthaWAZOO

i just downloaded epsxe and all the other related files and placed them in their correct folders according to the guide, but when i open the .exe file it says burutter.dll cannot be found when it is clearly there. do i have to place the .dll file in an existing folder or make a new one or what?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The one you've got is probably just old or broken (if its the one that comes with the emulator download then I'm pretty sure I've had the same prob with it), re-download burutter.dll and stick it in your ePSXe folder. Should work ok then.

OUTthaWAZOO

Alright, I've got it up and running, but when I try to run a game, my screen goes black for a few seconds then comes back and is at really low resolution (800x600 I think).

Last edited:

kkck

Hi all!

First post here lol

Some time ago I downloaded the latest emulator because I wanted to play Final Fantasy IX but I could never really get it to work. After long hours of looking for files and changing the configuration to any combination possible, the furthest I got to play the game was to listen to the intro's music but no image regardless of the waiting. Can anyone provide any tips as to what I could do to make my emulator work? Any help would be appreciated. I have windows vista.

Edit: If this is not the appropriate thread for this let me know and I will delete the post. Or a mod could move it to a more appropriate place.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Help anyone? Anyone there?
**Crickets in the background**

Please provide: System specs (Processor, Ram, GPU, DX version), plug-ins you are using, original disk or ISO?, region of the disk/ISO (US, JAP, EU) and what Bios you're using.

That should cover most of the things people might need to look at the problem and see what the cause might be. Seems most likely an issue with your type of graphics hardware, and/or the graphics plugin you're using but without the relevant info it could be any number of things.

Also with Playstation emulation its always worth doing a litmus test with the PSX emulator. PSX isn't plug-in based and requires very little in the way of setup, it also offers more faithful emulation than ePSXe (but not so many whistles, bells and enhancements) if the game works ok with PSX you know its probably just a settings issue with ePSXe.

If it doesn't work with PSX then its more likely to be related to your hardware or game image.

Last edited:

Blockinlick

I downloaded Worms World Party. It took 2 hours to download (233 MB With Wireless Broadband). When it was done I extracted it to C:/Program Files/epsxe for easy access.

When I attempted to run it, the game was not there. I then tried to find the game in my Downloads so that I could try to put it in another folder and it was gone.

I searched for the word Party in my documents and the GBA and 64 worms games showed up, but not the PSX ISO.

I then downloaded another file to open my downloads list. It was there, but it wouldn't let me open the file.

What is going on?

kkck

Please provide: System specs (Processor, Ram, GPU, DX version), plug-ins you are using, original disk or ISO?, region of the disk/ISO (US, JAP, EU) and what Bios you're using.

That should cover most of the things people might need to look at the problem and see what the cause might be. Seems most likely an issue with your type of graphics hardware, and/or the graphics plugin you're using but without the relevant info it could be any number of things.

Also with Playstation emulation its always worth doing a litmus test with the PSX emulator. PSX isn't plug-in based and requires very little in the way of setup, it also offers more faithful emulation than ePSXe (but not so many whistles, bells and enhancements) if the game works ok with PSX you know its probably just a settings issue with ePSXe.

If it doesn't work with PSX then its more likely to be related to your hardware or game image.

Ok, didn't realize I was providing so little info lol.
here it is:

Spoiler »

system.jpg

Disk is original.
Not sure what the pluggings are.
My bios is SCPH1001.BIN
Game was made for the USA area.

Last edited:

kkck

I tried the PSX emulator you suggested and my game worked. Thanks for that lol.

I got another problem now though. After playing for a while I get this error though:

IO control: raw read error, Data error<cyclic redundancy check>
I get the impression this might be due to the disk. Is there any way to get past this or do I have to just get another game disk?

Faithless

hi

I have problem finding the NTSC bios and the PAL bios for the emulator.

I know it's illigal so if anyone know where to find it, send me a pm

thnx

montpics

hi

I have problem finding the NTSC bios and the PAL bios for the emulator.

I know it's illigal so if anyone know where to find it, send me a pm

thnx

Sorry, can't help you with that. Furthermore, it was pretty much easy to be found these days through Google! :)

mjturim

i downloaded the newst psx emu 1.70 and it does not wanna run no matter what i do my psx1.60 runs do i need a new bios for 1.70 or am i just missing something

montpics

You just need to look for BIOS and plugins in order to make it work.

If you don't have any, you can try to look for plugins at this link : >CLICK HERE!<

As for BIOS, you have to look for it through Google. :)

komuroto

----------------------------------------------
General Epsxe Setup and Configuration:

1) First you will need to make sure you have the latest copy of epsxe. As of today - August 1, 2004 - the most recent version is 1.6.0. If you do not have this release you can download it here...

| ePSXe |

2) Once the file is finished downloading double-click it's icon. The file should automatically open in an archiving program such as Winzip or WinRAR. If you don't have such a program you can download one from either of these locations...

| Winzip |
| WinRAR |

Keep in mind both of the previous downloads are evaluation copies or "trial versions"

Once you open the epsxe zip file choose to extract all of it's contents to the following path (this can be done by manual navigation to that location or by typing out the path name):

DRIVE:/Program Files/epsxe (Replacing "DRIVE" with your hard drive's letter)

3) Retrieve a Playstation BIOS file from elsewhere on the internet. It is considered in most countries to be illegal to be in possession of such a file so we cannot post links to it here. The file you will need can have two names --- one for NTSC (North American) games and one for PAL (European) games. Most likely - you will need the NTSC file. They are titled as follows:

- NTSC - SCPH1001.BIN
- PAL - SCPH7502.BIN

4) Once you have successfully download the correct BIOS for your region, extract it or place it in the following folder (assuming you used the suggested installation directory for epsxe as stated above)

DRIVE:/Program Files/epsxe/bios ("DRIVE" being you hard drive letter)

5) Next you will need to download some plugins for epsxe. Mainly you will need GPU (graphics proccessing unit) and SPU (sound proccessing unit) plugins. These are simply recommendations based on which plugins "normally" achieve optimum performance in most PCs. Download the following files.

GPU Plugins:
| Pete's OpenGL GPU |
| Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU |

SPU Plugins:
| Eternal SPU 1.41 |

6) Once you have download all of the previous files (which will open in Winzip or WinRAR) extract all of their contents to the following directory:

DRIVE:/Program Files/epsxe/plugins (Provided you used the suggested path)

7) Once you have done all of this it's time to start epsxe for the first time. Go to the directory you installed epsxe too and double click the icon titled 'ePSXe.exe'. The program should start shortly.

8) You should be greeted with a popup box titled 'Welcome to the ePSXe config setup'. This is a "wizard" to get you started. If you've already run epsxe for the first time and want to access the wizard again click 'CONFIG > WIZARD GUIDE'. If you feel like reading then read what it says - otherwise click "CONIFG >>>" on the bottom right hand corner.

You will first be prompted for the BIOS configuration. Provided you have downloaded the correct BIOS and placed it in the proper folder you should see it listed in the white box. Make sure it is highlighted/selected and click "NEXT >>>"

Next comes the GPU configuration. In the white box will be a list of all the plugins you have for graphics. I suggest using Pete's OpenGL driver but depending on your PC specs - it may be trial and error until you find a plugin which produces desirable results. Once you have selected one click "NEXT >>>"

Here you will need to select the 'Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41' from the white box. This plugin should be the best all round for nearly any system. Click "NEXT >>>"

Now you will need to select a CD-ROM plugin. I recommend that if you are going to be playing from actual CDs to simply select 'epsxe CDR ASPI core 1.5.2' and click 'Configure' right under the white list box. In the popup which appears it will say "Select CD-ROM" and have a drop down list below it. Drop down the list and pick whichever of your drives you would like to use for reading the discs. Click "OK". If you plan on playing from image files or ISOs then you can ignore what I just said. Click "NEXT >>>"

Next comes configuring the gamepads. This should be pretty self explanitory. Click on which Pad to configure and change buttons to your preference. Click "NEXT >>>" when you are done. Click "DONE"

9) Ok. Now if all is well you can attempt to play a game. For users who wish to play from an actual PSX disc you can put it in the cd/dvd drive you selected earlier now. When ready Click "File > Run CDROM". Be patient and hope for the best.

Users who wish to play ISOs can mount the image directly in epsxe by clicking "File > Run ISO" and selecting your image in the popup window which shortly proceeds.

10) Congratualtions! Hopefully your playing a game right now and enjoying it.

If anyone has anything else useful to add for a beginner - knock yourself out. :)

I can not get passed step 7. I get an error message saying cannot find file. Could you talk to me over MSN, or yahoo or something a walk me through this?