General ePSXe Setup and Configuration

kuzai

Does the pad map to the controls ok in the Pad config utility?. You need to click on each button description displayed on screen, then push the button or direction on your pad that you want to use for that function. You should see the text change to identify the button press you've just made.

If you have successfully mapped your controller in the ePSXe pad config utility then also consider that ePSXe allows you to select the type of emulated controller (digital pad, dual shock etc) this will be the drop down menu in the top right corner of the pad utility screen.
I have found that ePSXe will expect different types of controller dependent on the game.

For example, I use a Dual Shock 2 with ePSXe and with most games its fine but some older games like Legacy of Kain - Blood Omen, won't work with it, however if I go back into controller config and set the controller as a PS1 Digital Pad (the one without analogue sticks) it works perfectly even though I am still using the same controller, so you need to use the pad config utility to tell ePSXe what type of Playstation controller you want it to emulate.

Hope that makes sense. If you're still stuck or not sure what I mean then post again.

it's work!!thanks

lugewsupas

ive alredy finish downloading some game files from the net but some files came up to be a MDF, MDS, and many others (exept for the ISO and BIN this two works perfectly) ive tried renaming some files to ISO and when i try to start s them it wasjust plain black,,,, so how can convert this file to ISO in a good way?? and whats the problem the plugins or the way i convert the files???? help me please i beg of you :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

GENEW

error occurs it wont play

"This application has failed to start because zlib 1.dll was not found. reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

where did i go wrong.

the plugins are already in the plugins directory.

unknownerrors

pirate all things 1's&0's
ve alredy finish downloading some game files from the net but some files came up to be a MDF, MDS, and many others (exept for the ISO and BIN this two works perfectly) ive tried renaming some files to ISO and when i try to start s them it wasjust plain black,,,, so how can convert this file to ISO in a good way?? and whats the problem the plugins or the way i convert the files???? help me please i beg of you

check or PowerISO, you should be able to open that format and save it as another.. renaming the file ext will not do the trick.

http://alphapirates.com/
has a good copy of powerISO to use.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
i followed every step till 8 and when i try to open it it said somthing.dll plugin not found
what do i do?

look a couple of posts above, or search this forum for zlib1.dll because the solution has been touted around here many times!

lxxl_phuck_lxxl

i followed this it got rid of my wlg error thing but now jus a blank black box shows up anyone have any help? please? ive been trying to get this to work for such a long time if anyone has team viewer that has some free time show me how to get this to work?? im so frustrated :mad:

josef1975

VGA SCART GUIDE MAKER
hi, I've a question: I'm using espxe with a vga to scart rgb cable (I have made THIS guide on how to build it) an I should disable every thing like hardware stretch or similar because I want to run the game at his original resolution; using pete's opengl2 driver I selected "keep aspect ratio", is the corret option?
thank you :happy:

debaser

I'll be needing a bit of help. Y'see, i followed the configuration that Guitar put up and noticed a few holes. Always disappointed to see that a few things are always missing, definitely minute details...but details none the less. Good guide though and keep in mind from here on out i've followed all steps thoroughly...this is now a troubleshooting issue.

I'm having the usual crash problem from days old where my System Command comes up after i try to runCDROM or runISO - which i have an .iso loaded in DAEMON tools. I've also tried to runBIOS and yields the same result, "ePSXe.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Of course, i choose "Don't Send'' error report and get frustrated.

Extra Steps I've Taken Not Listed In Guitar's Configuration Guide:

1. I had to install a SmartIO.dll driver and put it in my Windows\System folder as well as ePSXe\Plugins folder. Then i had to instal a WNASPI32.dll driver and put it in the Windows/System folder.

2. Was not informed, but downloaded and installed the zlib1.dll driver and put it in ePSXe\Plugins as well as \ePSXe folders.

3. I have downloaded ForceASPI18 and ran each .bat and carried out full instructions and have restarted my CPU twice now.

4. i understand some roms are faulty so i have a coulple and have tested them on other peoples CPU's and my iPod Touch 2.2.1, oddly enough. They worked there.

I can't think if i'm missing too much. I do have a few theories.

-When i try to Test or Configure some item in the Sound and CD-ROM configuration it can crash or even give a message saying it can't find my D:/ Drive (Where the .ISO is loaded.) I'm thinking maybe i'm not that good at configuring what i need so i've included my system specs below. It seems that most to all Video plugins test and configure perfectly. Sound seems to fly right, but i don't think i've got my CD-ROM pinned.
-I could be missing essential drivers all around for my CPU as i have recently reformatted and did the best i could to update through windows updated. If this could be an issue, could someone give me a list of all Drivers (.dll) ePSXe uses?
-I'm using a compaq/toshiba/hp made Laptop and i've dropped it in the past, could my DVD Drive really be faulty ( Even though it usually works to write DVD's and read discs)

Basically that's all i've got. I'm going to work for a bit and it would be awesome to come home to an answer. I don't really expect anyone to spend a lot of time on this, i've just been reading on the site for a few nights now and been working solo on this emulation project for a few weeks now. I just really wanna nail this, it's been bothering me as i've been fairly adept at using/hacking other emulators. I love our subculture as i recently jailbroke my iPOD touch, and i know givin patience and trial i can figure this out with your help. I am a n00b but i'm not a complete idiot. Just can't think of much else.

SPECS:

Using ePSXe v1.6.0
Trying to play FFTactics on .iso or Xenogears on .cue/.bin.
*I also own these games and others i could use as straight CD-ROM usage to test.

"Toshiba - Compaq (hewlett-packard)
Presario v2000
Microsoft XP Pro 32-Bit, Serv Pack 3
AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-30
1.6 GHz
640mb RAM

Disk Drive: Toshiba MK8025GA5
Video Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M
DVD-ROM Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N
Sound Card: Conexant AC-Link Audio

Last edited:

blayloc3

Hello everyone,

I was excited to try this out but I keep getting an error:

Opcode [3f-ffffffff] in PC [1f000000] UNKNOWN [000002c3:223:488]

I am using:

epsxe v1.7.0

Have tried the following gpu's:Hello everyone,

I was excited to try this out but I keep getting an error:

Opcode [3f-ffffffff] in PC [1f000000] UNKNOWN [000002c3:223:488]

I am using:

epsxe v1.7.0

Have tried the following gpu's:

P.E.Op.S OpenGL Driver 1.78
P.E.Op.S Soft Driver 1.14
P.E.Op.S Soft Driver 1.16

and the following spu:

Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50
(I don't believe to be the spu though)

Have tride these game:

FF7 original disc 1 (NTSC)
FF7 ISO disc 1 (NTSC)
Breath of Fire 3 ISO disc 1 (NTSC)

Obviously my region is NTSC.

I haven't tried an original disc of another game but I will.

I believe it could be my laptop which is a refurbished Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset. I know that the chipset is not able to run the graphics for the PC version of FF11 cause I tried to install it and they didn't work. All the other features are good though. That is the only one I question. I will try a different laptop as well.

The summary is that I hit run disc or run iso and it starts to run, then the screen turns black and after a few moments the error message from above appears. Any advice?

Okay scratch the error. I figured out that the BIOS was faulty, fixed it and now I just get a blank screen I will attempt different plugins until I get something. However, I thought I would ask about this I get an init aspi (235) error when I attempt to click the the run BIOS button. Why is that and what should I do? I have windows vista if that helps.

Last edited:

Mr. DNA

Hello there! I wonder if somone could help me. I have recently started mucking about with emulators after having been given great advice here in the Nintendo forum. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk here, but I've been trying to get to grips with the ePSXe emulator, using the guide on the first page, and although I've worked through the guide a few times now I keep encountering the same problem.

When I reach stage 7 of the guide...

(7) Once you have done all of this it's time to start epsxe for the first time. Go to the directory you installed epsxe too and double click the icon titled 'ePSXe.exe'. The program should start shortly.)

...and double-click the icon, the programme doesn't start. Instead I get a message saying:

"The application has failed to start because burutter.dll was not found.
Re-Installing the application may fix this problem."

I have tried re-installing several times but to no avail. The weird thing is that there does seem to be a file titled "burutter" sitting beside the "bios", "plugins" and "ePSXe" files in the initial WinRAR window. I've tried simply extracting this "burutter" file to the location of the ePSXe file (as well as the plugins folder), but I simply get another error message. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Mr. DNA

I wasn't able to directly copy and paste "burutter.dll" to the system32 folder, so I extracted it to the desktop and then just dragged it into system32. It seemed to transfer, although when I scrolled down through the large system32 folder I couldn't see the "burutter.dll" file...

Anyway, when I then go back to double-click on the ePSXe icon, I still get the "burutter.dll" error.

A quick question- when you extract the initial epsxe emulator files into C:/Program Files/epsxe, as the guide instructs, do you only extract the file titled epsxe, or do you also extract the other files that are there, such as the "burutter" file which is visible in the initial WinRAR window? I have the same question for the graphics and sound plugins- do you extract everything that pops up in the WinRAR window, or just the obvious named file?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Extract everything into the ePSXe folder. Playstation emulators use the PS1 bios rom to run. It doesn't form part of the core download because its a copyright rom of the Playstation operating system. The usual one is called scph1001.bin

When you run ePSXe for the first time you need to open the config menu from the toolbar, select the bios option and point it at the location of this bios file.

Mr. DNA

Extract everything into the ePSXe folder. Playstation emulators use the PS1 bios rom to run. It doesn't form part of the core download because its a copyright rom of the Playstation operating system. The usual one is called scph1001.bin

When you run ePSXe for the first time you need to open the config menu from the toolbar, select the bios option and point it at the location of this bios file.

Nah- something's not happening for me with this. When I follow the guide to the letter I get the burutter.dll error after trying to open ePSXe for the first time (I take it the help you are giving me for opening the programme for the first time is for the stage after double-clicking the file...). Copying and pasting burutter.dll into system32 didn't do the trick. The emulator Gods are telling me to walk before I can run- I should concentrate on some of the other emulators I have that do work. Thanks for all of your help.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Cold be as simple as an old or slightly wonky .dll

I would google burutter.dll and the first option you get should be a direct link to download it from somewhere like dlldll.com

Grab it, and extract it into your ePSXe folder just to rule out a bad file. What OS are you running by the way.