Gaming Console

cdawley4

Hello,

First topic and needing a little information. First, let me start by saying that I bought a mini g box console that was packaged with 3000 games, and came with 2 nes style controllers and 2 playstation style controllers.

Since playing it, I was curious if I could install other type emulators on it, like a ps2 emulator or some other emulator like commodore 64 or gameboy.

I know all the games are on a micro sd card, so my plan was going to be to build a new sd card with games on it, so if I messed up, I wouldn’t trash the original sd card that came with it.

I’ve always been into playing old retro games, but wanted to be able to build a mini console type rather than some kind of computer. Don’t get me wrong, most of my games back in the day were Commodore 64 or IBM PC Windows based games.

Any information to help me get started would be appreciated. Again, never ventured into building an emulator type setup with Raspberry pi or Retroarch. I have used Linux before as well.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Hello!

You can change the software on some of those "emulation boxes", but it it really complicated without any information on the device. It is not possible to do it on all devices like that.

As for the software, it most likely uses a type of light weight Linux distribution with a custom frontend.

pix07

@cdawley4 Could you check factory code of that device then i can find parameters of that hardware.

rickeef3

Hello!
It sounds like you have a good plan in place to avoid damaging the original micro SD card by building a new one. As for installing other emulators on your mini g box console, it would depend on the capabilities of the console itself.

If the mini g box console is running on Android, you could potentially install RetroArch, an all-in-one emulator that supports many different systems including the PlayStation 2, Commodore 64, and Gameboy. Alternatively, you could also look into individual emulators for each system you want to emulate.

Before you begin, you will need to research which emulators are compatible with your console's hardware specifications. Also, keep in mind that installing unsupported software on your device may void any warranties or support from the manufacturer.

Once you have identified the emulators you want to install, you can download them and any necessary BIOS files onto your new micro SD card. Then, insert the new card into your console and navigate to the emulator files to launch them.

It's worth noting that building a mini console with a Retro Game Store can also be a fun and rewarding project. There are many resources on the Internet for emulation and the consoles themselves, and you can even buy ready-made kits that include everything you need to create your own mini-consoles.

Last edited: