.EXE Blocks?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Hey guys, At my school the computer admins have finally gotten smart and put a program on the system that blocks executable files like .EXE, Rendering emulators and other such programs useless. Ive never really cared for emulator playing during school, but this whole thing has got me curious about my computer skills and trying to get around this. First I tried to figure out what it was blocking, because then and there I didn't know what it was blocking specifically. I found out that it blocks EXE files. I tried using the CMD to start the emulator, and Ive tried setting the ROM to be opened with a specific program. I tried running an OS emulator and tried playing an emulator off the OS emulator. Didn't work. Does anyone think they have a work around for this block?

onewecallgod

Depends on what the OS is. I can remember a few tricks for NT, but as far as I know, 2k and XP are pretty solid.

Zach

If the PC boots up and checks the CD ROM you can run a LiveCD for a linux distro, with the emulator and roms burned onto the CD or load your programs and roms off a flash drive,

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Try renaming the .exe to something like mspaint.exe or to the same name of a program that is allowed to run. Some programs that block certain .exe from running do it by name only. You never know you might get lucky...

DIYROMArcade

Obsessive Gamer
I do this at work and it is pretty lame but I need to keep myself entertained right?

They don’t block EXEs or anything like that, I just mainly wanted to see if this would work and it was fairly decent when it did.

Use some sort of RDP or remote admin software and connect to your home computer and then play the Emulators on your home PC? ^_^

Since they are running stuff that blocks EXEs from running you might need to use a service like Logmein so you can do remote admin without the need for client side software. Although they do require you to install an ActiveX control on the client PC but this may not be blocked by the program since it is being handled through IE.

You can remote admin your computer right through the browser then and since you are using your home PC you won’t be subject to any of the limitations in affect on the school computers.

Hehe I get bored at work.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
If the PC boots up and checks the CD ROM you can run a LiveCD for a linux distro, with the emulator and roms burned onto the CD or load your programs and roms off a flash drive,

Tried that, didn't work. Thanks for the Advice though.

Try renaming the .exe to something like mspaint.exe or to the same name of a program that is allowed to run. Some programs that block certain .exe from running do it by name only. You never know you might get lucky...

I will try this out tomorrow, thanks!

Depends on what the OS is. I can remember a few tricks for NT, but as far as I know, 2k and XP are pretty solid.
The OS is Xp, so it must be pretty solid then.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I actually found a way around it, I can open EXE files in Zip Folders. I first open Winrar in a Zip File, and open an emulator through Winrar in a Zip file. Hehe, Aren't I clever? Not really.