ePSXe 1.80 Finally released

testmachine

Old member
Okay guys.It's finally released.
ePSXe coders have released the 1.80 version of the best playstation emulator.
go to the official website and download the latest ePSXe:
Official ePSXe Website
Direct download link:
Download ePSXe 1.80 now
List of changes:
-Many fixes to the cd-rom decoder and core that
-fixed almost 150 games Improved input devices
-support On the fly memory card change
-Fixed changedisc feature Support for SBI subchannel files
-Support for PBP disc images
-Cheat codes support

------------------------------
Regards,Testmachine

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
There is only one thing I don't like that much, is that it still doesn't support compressed images, it has become a standard for almost all emulators, so why not pick up the trend?

montpics

Thanks for bringing news. :)

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Thats sort of what I am thinking, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of .7z or .rar

testmachine

Old member
Thats sort of what I am thinking, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of .7z or .rar

Think about how much would it take to load a archived iso.I mean almost every psx iso is about 400 mb.And that would be around 240 mb within a rar or 7z archive.Even no$Gba loads rar and 7z archives much slower than the decompressed rom.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Think about how much would it take to load a archived iso.I mean almost every psx iso is about 400 mb.And that would be around 240 mb within a rar or 7z archive.Even no$Gba loads rar and 7z archives much slower than the decompressed rom.
I am willing to wait a minute for the game to load. I work mainly from flashdrives, and big games are costly.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ok first of .7z or .rar are not compressed images. They are archives. Second compressed images are supported. Use the mooby2 pluging and go to properties. You will see you can compress to bz. Yes that means un raring and 7z all your images and then compressing with bz. Then mooby2 will do bz compression on the fly.

The person responsible for archiving iso should be taking out and shot. Any file that big takes to long to decompress. You could also use winmount but imo its more trouble then its worth.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Ok first of .7z or .rar are not compressed images. They are archives. Second compressed images are supported. Use the mooby2 pluging and go to properties. You will see you can compress to bz. Yes that means un raring and 7z all your images and then compressing with bz. Then mooby2 will do bz compression on the fly.

The person responsible for archiving iso should be taking out and shot. Any file that big takes to long to decompress. You could also use winmount but imo its more trouble then its worth.
Lol, I meant compressed images as in a disc image that is in a compressed document like 7z or some other format. I like Mooby and all, but it hasn't been updated in years, and doesn't read some games like the emulator itself can (if that makes sense, you know how cd image plugins tend to substitute the disk reading capabilities of the emulator)

Even if its just to cater to the small amount of users that don't have like 10 TB to work with, I think its a function that should be worked into every emulator.

@Testmachine, I actually did some compression experimenting and found that DesmuME reads my Pokemon Black 2 compressed with 7z just as fast as it did being uncompressed, and the file size difference was about 40%, so I think that is proof enough. Sure, I know that Playstation Iso's are usually a lot bigger than 300 mb, but I don't think that the reading speed would be too greatly effected, Im guessing no longer than 10-15 seconds to read a full disc image like Chrono Cross.

(I secretly likes debates like this, there should be more conversations like this on Emulator-Zone Forums. >;D)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
A compressed file can be considered a rar or zip, a compressed [file type] can not.

Examples:
A compressed video file, will still play.
A compressed music file will still play.
A compressed image will still display.
A compressed ISO will still load.

So, can you load a rar'd ISO... No, you can not. So its an archive or if you must, a compressed file, not a compressed ISO.

Even if its just to cater to the small amount of users that don't have like 10 TB to work with, I think its a function that should be worked into every emulator.
If you're asking for the emulator to take a file extract it to a temp location and run it, sorry pal, your nuts... Now yes you can take a small zip and use it as a solid state file in memory with zLib but you wont see anyone do that with a CD size ISO. This is why we have front ends. I use Quick play and this is built in. Though it will take 5-10 minutes ( depending on your CPU ) to play.

DesmuME reads my Pokemon Black 2 compressed with 7z just as fast as it did being uncompressed
I know there is a way to mount 7z's files like this is they are compressed in solid state mode. But that wont work with anything but 7z. I too wish more emulators would do this but you must compress the iso with solid state compression. However that is the same thing as using compression like winmount. Though no emulators support winmount compression so you have to write a script.

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
@Testmachine, I actually did some compression experimenting and found that DesmuME reads my Pokemon Black 2 compressed with 7z just as fast as it did being uncompressed, and the file size difference was about 40%, so I think that is proof enough. Sure, I know that Playstation Iso's are usually a lot bigger than 300 mb, but I don't think that the reading speed would be too greatly effected, Im guessing no longer than 10-15 seconds to read a full disc image like Chrono Cross.

(I secretly likes debates like this, there should be more conversations like this on Emulator-Zone Forums. >;D)

Decompression speed on DeSmuMe depends on the CPU Speed.Mine is a quad-core so it loads right away.You have a AMD Sempron 2400+ 1,6 ghz (Correct me if i am wrong)so it is logical that it loads a little bit slower.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Decompression speed on DeSmuMe depends on the CPU Speed.Mine is a quad-core so it loads right away.You have a AMD Sempron 2400+ 1,6 ghz (Correct me if i am wrong)so it is logical that it loads a little bit slower.

right now I am running:

1.86GHz Dualcore, Intel with 1gb of RAM, but it isn't my computer back home. My computer at home is A LOT slower, XD (specs in profile).

@ UlaoUlao, Oh I get it, you mean a file that is compressed because of its file type, such as a video that got compressed with a codec that compresses the video like Bink and DivX, Sad to hear that it will never be possible, :p

Last edited: