Chiptune Music?

Hrothgar

Hey, I was wondering what you guys though about Chiptune/8-Bit music? The reason I ask is cause I've been making some myself recently. I saw a documentary on it called "Reformat The Earth", and it really drew me in. I was really psyched out and started working on some songs myself. It's pretty neat if you find some good artists.

If you want to download/Listen to my music, just look at my signature. I hope this doesn't come off as advertisement. I just thought that considering the context of the board, some people might be interested in this.

The download also comes with some album artwork.

Last edited:

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
em could you pm it to me{if you have youtube links or download links...} i don't know what you mean but i am up for something new:thumb_up:
btw: it doesn't really look like an advertisement. also you are not only doing things like this and it isn't really off-topic, so its fine

Last edited:

Zach

For those who don't know what chiptunes/chip music is, its basically low-fi 8-bit audio.. They have a lot of familiar old school sounding instruments and everything is done with one or more chips, and ocassionally with low quality sampling.

Think of music that sounds like C64/NES/Gameboy type stuff.

That's essentially what it is. It can be an acquired taste, but for those who like it, there are some really great songs out there.

Hrothgar

Yeah, there really is a large group of good artists for Chiptune like Nullsleep, Bubblyfish, Bit Shifter, Sabrepulse, and Disasterpiece. There's a documentary out about it called 'Reformating the Planet'. It's really good if you don't know anything about the genre and want to be introduced into it. The only thing I've found is there isn't a large forum for people who make Chiptune : \ .

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
i am pretty intrested in it:happy:. i always liked that type of music more than most people.while my friends. whil tey where turning their gamboys softer, i put it louder:D

Zach

If you like hard enough in the forums for various music communities or software synths, you will likely find small core groups of chippers out there. I've seen a few..

Fruity Loops is a pretty popular program and I think I've seen places on their forums, or somewhere like that.. I can go through my bookmarks and at least find some guides

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
If you like hard enough in the forums for various music communities or software synths, you will likely find small core groups of chippers out there. I've seen a few..

Fruity Loops is a pretty popular program and I think I've seen places on their forums, or somewhere like that.. I can go through my bookmarks and at least find some guides

you also just could use something like famicon tracker right? or any other chipmusic maker?

Hrothgar

I've heard of Fruity loops and I use Famitracker personally. There is also LSDJ for the gameboy, Nanoloops for gameboy advance and Pixel Hate for the DS. You can also use just normal trackers and download chiptune-isque vsts like NESPulse, NESTriangle, NESNoise, and Basic64.

I did look and I found some forums but hey were really small and non-centralized. I wanted a more open community that uses various programs to make music, as well as diverse chiptune artists. I've tried to join a few of the small ones but their all dead to activity.

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
I've heard of Fruity loops and I use Famitracker personally. There is also LSDJ for the gameboy, Nanoloops for gameboy advance and Pixel Hate for the DS. You can also use just normal trackers and download chiptune-isque vsts like NESPulse, NESTriangle, NESNoise, and Basic64.

I did look and I found some forums but hey were really small and non-centralized. I wanted a more open community that uses various programs to make music, as well as diverse chiptune artists. I've tried to join a few of the small ones but their all dead to activity.

you could make your own -and i am available as free moderator- /ive been there before\ but it will cost you at LEAST a few bucks a month -but when you're site is succesfull youre site can run fully on adds.-

Zach

Thread Hijack:

Dude you need to go fix your signature.. That's rediculous..

500 wide by 100 high folks, It's IN THE RULES PAGE !

Anyway..

Yeah there are a lot of old trackers out there, but frankly, I find them nearly impossible to read from a productivity standpoint.. It was OK back in the day when they were blazing new trails through the industry and music synthesis was just getting started, but I much better prefer the look and feel of programs like Orion, Cakewalk Project 5, Fruity Loops, and others in the same vein..

It's a lot easier when you have stuff to work with that looks like actual machines and all the knobs and switches and wheels that go with them, and a modern track / note laying interface.. But that's just me..

Programs like Milkytracker and ReNoise are still very popular and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hrothgar

I don't have anything against the newer trackers, I've used Mad Tracker myself, knobbies and all. I've heard of Renoise, but haven't gotten around to using it. There's not really anything wrong with Famitracker or LSDJ. In fact I sort of prefer Famitracker, even after I've been exposed to a wider variety of trackers. It's nothing against the other ones, just preference. Famitracker doesn't really have a difficult interface, just a limited one. There not really outdated at all seeing as how many people still use them (effectively at that, like Nullsleep) to this day. There's just something out there for everyone, whether it be sophisticated or bare-bones.

Not to mention it's especially awesome when someone is performing with LSDJ like so.