CHD's

FalconYT

Question regarding CHD's.. I know you take the CHD file name and make a Folder and put the CHD in there.. (the rom file should be the same name as well) and it should work.. But what about games that have more than one CHD?? Like DDR, there seems to be a bunch of CHD files with different names. Would these all go into there respective named folders?? or do they get piled into one folder for the game???

Thanks..

spotanjo3

Where to put them!

CHD files need to be put in their own folders in you main Roms folder.

For example Killer Instinct uses a romfile called kinst.zip and a hard disk file called kinst.chd. First the rom file need to be put (Still zipped!) into the main Mame roms folder (Normally C:\Mame\Roms). You then need to create a new folder in your roms folder called kinst and copy the kinst.chd (Not zipped!) file into it (C:\Mame\Roms\kinst). If you are unsure how to create folders then have a look at the Windows Basics page as it has a description of what to do.

If you've done this correctly then your folder should look something like this...

mamechdtree.gif

Last edited:

FalconYT

Hi Rockman,

Yes I have done that, but I was just wondering if with all those JAA*.chd, 845*.chd, and so on that seem to be associated with DDR, Guitar Freaks or Beatmania if in fact they went in just one folder... If they all need to be individual folders (based on their ROM name) that's cool.. I just wasn't sure..

Thanks...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
RockmanForte, nice job explaining that. :)

CHDs don't need to be in correctly named subdirectories anymore, you can put them wherever you want as long as you add the location to MAME's rompaths. - but auditing them gets to be a pain.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Thanks, ulaoulao!

Okay, put them into a subdirectory of your "roms" directory with the name of the game the CHD is for. In addition the CHD, you also need the corresponding ROMs for the game to work. To demonstrate:

MameUI32.exe
roms\
area51.zip
area51\
area51.chd

Note that the CHD name does not always directly correspond to the game now. For example, the CHD for Beatmania is named 753jaa11.chd. It would go in a directory called "bm1stmix".

FalconYT

Hi Rockman,

Sorry I have not gotten back to you... I have been accumulating the files that I need and will give it a shot and will let you know.. All those files for DDR and Beatmania and Guitar Freak can make things confusing.. :) How do you know the name of the folder they are supposed to go in if it is not the name of the respective ROM??????

I've gotten Judge Dredd, Killer Instinct 1 and 2 to work... :)

Thanks..

spotanjo3

Great.. You did it! No problem. ENJOY!

Edit: DDR and Beatmania and Guitar Freak works ? Or still confuse ?

Last edited:

FalconYT

Kinda confused a bit, how would you be able to tell what the folder name should be if you only have the cryptic jaa*.chd and no description of what that CHD belongs to.... I've run across a few that are just the file names with no real indication of what the folder name should be...

I suppose I could put them all in a main CHD folder and point the CHD path to it... I will be trying it tomorrow and we'll see.. :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
hey falcon dont know if this helps but here..
Code:
  a51site4
  area51
  area51mx
  area51t
  bassangl
  biofreak
  blitz
  blitz2k
  blitz99
  bm1stmix
  bm2ndmix
  bm2ndmxa
  bm3rdmix
  bm4thmix
  bm5thmix
  bm6thmix
  bmcompm2
  bmcompmx
  bmcorerm
  bmdct
  boxingm
  btchamp
  btltryst
  calspeda
  calspeed
  carnevil
  cartfury
  cndypuzl
  code1d
  code1db
  comebaby
  cr589fw
  cr589fwa
  cryptklr
  darkhleg
  ddr2m
  ddr2mc
  ddr2mc2
  ddr2ml
  ddr3ma
  ddr3mj
  ddr3mk
  ddr3mka
  ddr3mp
  ddr4m
  ddr4mj
  ddr4mp
  ddr4mps
  ddr4ms
  ddr4msj
  ddr5m
  ddra
  ddrbocd
  ddrextrm
  ddrj
  ddrja
  ddrjb
  ddrmax
  ddrmax2
  ddrs2k
  ddrs2kj
  ddrsbm
  ddru
  ddrusa
  dmx
  dmx2m
  dmx2majp
  dncfrks
  drmn
  drmn2m
  drmn3m
  dsem2
  dsfdct
  dsfdcta
  dsftkd
  dstage
  fbait2bc
  fbaitbc
  fbaitmc
  fbaitmca
  gamecstl
  gauntd24
  gauntdl
  gauntl12
  gauntleg
  gtfrk11m
  gtfrk3ma
  gtfrk3mb
  gticlub2
  gtrfrk2m
  gtrfrk3m
  gtrfrk4m
  gtrfrk5m
  gtrfrk6m
  gtrfrk7m
  gtrfrks
  gtrfrksa
  haremchl
  heatof11
  hmcompm2
  hmcompmx
  hyperath
  hyprdriv
  jdredd
  jdreddb
  jojo
  jojoalt
  jojoba
  jpark3
  kbm
  kbm2nd
  kbm3rd
  kdeadeye
  kinst
  kinst2
  konam80a
  konam80s
  lasstixx
  lsrquiz
  lsrquiz2
  mace
  macea
  maxforce
  mfightc
  mfightcc
  mgprem11
  mocapb
  mocapbj
  mocapglf
  nagano98
  nbanfl
  nbashowt
  p911
  p9112
  p911e
  p911j
  p911uc
  pbball96
  pbballex
  pcnfrk3m
  polystar
  popn7
  popn9
  ppd
  ppp
  ppp11
  ppp2nd
  primrag2
  qdrmfgp
  qdrmfgp2
  redearth
  roadburn
  salarymc
  sf2049
  sf2049se
  sf2049te
  sfiii
  sfiii2
  sfiii2u
  sfiii3
  sfiii3a
  sfiiiu
  sfish2
  sfrush
  sfrushrk
  simpbowl
  sogeki
  sscopex
  susume
  tenthdeg
  thrild2
  thrild2a
  tokimosh
  tokimosp
  totlvice
  tsurugi
  tsurugij
  vaportrp
  vaportrx
  vcircle
  warfa
  wargods
  warzard
  wcombaj
  wcombak
  wcombat
  weddingr
  wg3dh
  xtrial

Last edited:

FalconYT

Hi Ulaoulao,

Thanks Very much for that list... I am going to put the all the folder names in my ROMs folder so I'll know what's what... :) and see what else will work for me..

..Falcon

Quirinus

Let me ask a semi-related question: Do CHDs get updated periodically? If I have the CHD for an arcade game, do I need to get updates to the CHD when I get an updated MAME version or a rom set is updated?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Not nessesarily. For mame, most CHD based games also come with a zip file that has regular roms. There can be an update to those rom files, but not for the CHD.