Can not figure Mame to save my life.

DisneyRob

Hate to keep coming to the well, but if I can figure this out, I can open about ten new systems on my MAME.
Most systems I have no issue with. I drop the ROMS into the ROM directory, and I am up and running.
However with a few I get nothing but trouble.
At first I was getting a plugin error. But after downloading the new MAME, I can access the system, but if I go to start a game it say's there are files missing.
I have the correct ROM files, and they are in the correct directory
So here is my question (and I hope it is permitted)
Are there various sets of ROM files out there, some specific to MAME, and others that are for other emulators.
Some of the ones I use like Game Mate, Apple IIGS, Mega Duck, Mattell Aquarius, V-Tech Spectravision, etc,etc say they are only compatible with MAME, so I think this is a long shot, but I am such a noob at this
figure I better go to the people in the know.

pix07

@DisneyRob Because most of them are on correct mame version if you want use all on them at once you need use final burn neo based of older mame versions.

And by correct mame version im mean developers are writing "driver" for mame and disabled older game systems.

The same with retroarch many mame cores because not everything is working.

And i done some research and those which you mention are not in final burn neo.

Last edited:

Robert

Are you running these systems from the primitive inbuilt UI? It's got bugs and limitations. Better off using the command line (it will actually say what's missing), even though it's even more primitive than the UI.

I take it these systems are not available in Mister or retroarch? (I've never used them).

DisneyRob

@DisneyRob Because most of them are on correct mame version if you want use all on them at once you need use final burn neo based of older mame versions.

And by correct mame version im mean developers are writing "driver" for mame and disabled older game systems.

The same with retroarch many mame cores because not everything is working.

And i done some research and those which you mention are not in final burn neo.
Thank you PIX07. SoI guess I am SOL on those sytems, I know there is a rule about where to find this stuff, so I will not ask. But I will ask this, (I hope it is permitted) , I just just give up on these systems as I will not find the ROMS anywhere?

DisneyRob

Are you running these systems from the primitive inbuilt UI? It's got bugs and limitations. Better off using the command line (it will actually say what's missing), even though it's even more primitive than the UI.

I take it these systems are not available in Mister or retroarch? (I've never used them).
Thank you for the reply , but you must undertsand I am a total idiot when t comes to this stuff. What exactly is a primitive UI. I know this about MAME, if I put a ROM in the rom file and it works, I am glad.If it doesn't I have no clue.

Venomous75

After many years I finally got make to run some games for me. Im not very savvy with MAME either, but just as soon as I'd gotten a few games to go, I discovered Retro arch which was a vast improment, for me at least. Have you tried that? Is it an option?