Be more specific.

stanlai

Bgb(Gameboy Emulator) has a link cable that u can use to link up two BGB's
But I don't know how to use it

Jay

Sly Little Devil
game link:
==========
for bgb game link to work at all, you need a very fast pc (P3, athlon) and <1ms lag (fast LAN, or localhost). it does not work with all games. some games that work are tetris, pokemon, mortal kombat. You can send me email: your system specs, OS, network specs (if applies), the game, and if it does work, or if it does not work. don't ask "when do you support (name of game)", i don't know. on one bgb, you select "listen", on the other you select "connect". it should then show "linked" in the titlebar. there is also an option "remotejoy" so joypad 2 of one bgb controls the other bgb (which does not have keyboard focus, for example).

This is a quote from BGB's documentation. I've put the part about this feature in bold. As you can see the instructions are poorly written at best and I can see how you would be confused. I downloaded the emulator and took a look at it. I think I understand the basics of how the link feature works. I have made a set of instructions below including screen shots in hopes that it will help you out. This feature doesn't use a real "cable" which is what I think you may have thought. It simply allows two people using this emulator to play games with one another as if they were using the real gameboy with a link cable. I want to first go on record saying that this is the first time I've ever used this emulator and my instructions may be incomplete or even perhaps wrong. So... here we go!

How To Use The BGB "Game Link" Feature
  • One of the two parties should right click anywhere on the emulator's window and mouse over the "link" option.
  • Then that person should left click on "Listen".
  • They will then enter the IP address of the other party.
  • Then the other party involved should right click anywhere on the emulator's window and mouse over the "Link" option.
  • This person should left click on "Connect"
  • Then "Linked" should appear in the title bar to let you know that the two emulator are linked.
I hope this has been helpful. If anyone knows of anything I said that is wrong or incomplete please let me know via a post here or PM and I will edit the instructions. Stanlai, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Feel free to stick around and post. M.H.A.Q.S., you're one of our most helpful and nice members and above all you're a friend. Please be nice to the newbies. ;)

Attachments

• bgb.jpg
    bgb.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 19

M.H.A.Q.S.

Jay I've been helpful, and I will be. I PM'ed him a long time ago on how to do it.

I was just irritated that he still didn't get around it. Well I'm sorry stanlai if you were offended, Jay has helped you here alot. But what about my PM, it was so detailed, I even gave you references to the related stuff.

Anyway, stanlai hope you understand. Jay, am i clear about my post now.

nofear323

How To Use The BGB "Game Link" Feature
  • One of the two parties should right click anywhere on the emulator's window and mouse over the "link" option.
  • Then that person should left click on "Listen".
  • Then the other party involved should right click anywhere on the emulator's window and mouse over the "Link" option.
  • This person should left click on "Connect"
  • Then "Linked" should appear in the title bar to let you know that the two emulator are linked.

Sorry but i didn't understood i want to play pokemon silver i have windows xp and the bgb obviously and i want to play with a friend that lives next to my house could you explain me better please

Last edited:

Kman

Hi there. I managed to link two BGBs on my home LAN and I used them to trade on Pokémon Gold. Unfortunately I can no longer trade between the two games for unknown reasons. The BGBs are still connected (I have one PC listen while the other connects to it) and I can get through the trading dialogue without much problem. The real problem occurs when you go into the trade room on both games, then connect. It says "Please wait", and at this point I notice the framerate of one of the BGBs drops to below 10 for a few seconds before returning to 60. When it finally gets to the screen where you choose which Pokémon to trade, the lists are either corrupt at which point I have to restart the emulators on both PCs, or the lists are correct but when I go to trade, one of the games says "You're friends [Pokémon] appears to be abnormal", which suggests to me that one of the BGBs has either not received all the information, or it has been corrupted on its way across. Sorry for the length!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Kman

Ah don't worry. I switched emulator and managed to get my saved games to work with it. I'm using GBCemu which allows you to run the emulator twice on the same PC, which is a lot more reliable. Thanks anyway!

bettycooper

How do u use the link cable for BGB io games foodle
Go to the settings and enable ‘link cable mode’. In BGB select ‘link cable mode’. Then press A on your second Game Boy and then Start on the other to start link mode. Once that’s done, take one end of the Link Cable and plug it into your computer or laptop (if there’s an Ethernet port). Now take another end of the Link Cable and plug it into your first Game Boy.