visual boy advance problem

koran

ok, my game keeps freezing at the same point in the game, and not any where else. I am playing a link to the past and I just got the book from the library place, and when I go to the stone and translate it turns me into the thing then freezes. The program doesnt crash but I cant move or anything and the music keeps playing. I thought it might have been my save file or ROM is messed up, so I downloaded another ROM from another website and it still freezes at the same place. I am using the latest VBA version, but I tried using others and it still freezes at the same place. Any help would be appriciated[sp].

HimuraBR

Hi,

I don't know if it would help, but this tip helped me to play the game: Dragon Ball - Buu's Fury, that always returned to me that I had to play in the original GBA: Change the save type to EEPROM and restart the emulator.

F

froster1990

Sometimes, it's not the roms fault or the emulators fault at all. Sometimes the part might be so big to run for the moment your computer might freeze. I might know a way to stop this.

Go to the options tab at the top, scroll down to frame skip, and set it to about 5, this will skip about 5 cells in the game per second, making the game run surprisingly faster, some emulators can go up to nine if you want. This might make the game run more evenly and there is a chance it will not freeze on that part.

F

froster1990

It happens to me in tactic ogres, and Golden sun 2.

Jale

I tried VBA on slow systems and everything is really laggy, but it nevers freezes.

F

froster1990

You have an xp? I have an 98, never reconfigured once. So there's probably loads of errors I'm not aware off. That kid might have a computer never cleaned of viruses or spywares!

koran

thanks for the help all. And yes I am using windows XP. It still won't work though, I tried everything people posted. I check for viruses and stuff regularly, so i do not think that is it. When I wanted to get past text in the game that I have seen before, I held down spacebar and it went away faster. Also makes you run really fast too. Could that have something to do with it?

HimuraBR

Koran, you have the GBA Bios!? Although not much necessary, may work to solve the problem with the emulator...

I have problem of freezing using VBA, but mine is a problem with my CPU. I don't know why, but if it's passes 37-38oC, it's freezes when I press ESC and try to access the menu.

Where are you getting problem in Tactics Ogre, froster1990? I played it for sometime ago and I never have problem with it...

montpics

@Koran
Pressing and hold the SPACEBAR wouldn't lead the game to freeze itself as far as I aware of. It only fasten the speed of the gameply as well as time of the gameplay. I have the game but never play it so, can't give you a confirmation whether the game works on mine or freeze otherwise.

@HimuraBR
GBA emulator doesn't need the BIOS in order to play the game. The game freezed itself after it passed 37 degrees celcius? Not for me if you ask me. I did play a GBA game under 60 degrees celcius once but it never freeze or crash.

HimuraBR

I know, Mont... but I have a rom (Phantasy Star Collection) that asks for the BIOS (the emulator gave me error of BIOS and I used it and solved the problem of the error messages). But about the problem of temperature... it's something I really don't understand... when I bought this PC I could play fine even if it's reached the mark of 48oC or even 50.... but now, I have to *respect* the mark of 37 - 38oC... I'll try to buy a new cooler to my CPU (AMD K6-2 500).

montpics

Most of the ROMs were dumped directly without any confirmation of certain emulators work with it.

About the temperature, I don't know what had cause your PC freeze though. :cool:

HimuraBR

My computer is crazy... lol... it's the only answer I can give about it :( ...

Moonchaser

Whenever I'm playing a game, it acts like I'm in speed up mode but I'm not and I don't know why it does that. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the emulator, but it doesn't work. Does anyone else have that problem?

jekolosfrom

I don't know if it would help, but this tip helped me to play the game: Dragon Ball - Buu's Fury, that always returned to me that I had to play in the original GBA: Change the save type to EEPROM and restart the emulator.