Best Rom renaming utility

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
I'll make this short and simple, what's the best rom renaming utility out there?

#1 I know about goodtools[goodgba][cowering]
used them to rename my stuff.

and ROmcenter?

so which is it?

I like the idea of that numbered system [chronologically arranged] from goodtools

and I like that 'ease of use' feeling from Romcenter,
so which do you guys prefer?

also, I also found that, some are not detected by goodtools[goodgba][cowering], but are detected by Romcenter,
--yes, I do have the latest definitions--

#2 n64 rom renaming utility, yes, I use Good64 too and Romcenter too
however, there are also some files that aren't detected by those programs [and their databases]
what gives?

N64 Rom Renamer v3.1
(c) 2000 by Einstein II. was able to detect and Rename it properly.
good64 and romcenter even marks some as 'bad dump' 'alternatively
(b) good64 or (!) on romcenter

#3 since I do keep a lot of roms on my library[64,gba,nes,snes], which do you guys prefer for compressing and backup
here's what I think
zip - virus attacks zip files = once the virus corrupts the compressed archives, the roms will be dead
7zip - good fast, but is it as stable as zip (though i'd say yes, i'd like to hear your views about it)
rar - again, I'm having second thoughts about it, I use it for my online archive[personal data], almost as popular as zip, but will it save my data.
corruption possibilities? [i know about the ' put recovery record thing though]

Summary regarding compression and archiving

zip [compressed 500 roms [snes] 6 were corrupted, irrecoverable
7zip [compressed 500 roms [snes] 7 were corrupted, recovered by un7zipping 1-by-1
rar = same with 7zip

now for safety, I manually 7zip my library, hence i get to test them before moving.

goodtools has batch zip right? [but with that, I can't test the files]

I'm such as DATA loss-phobic

#4, --bit offtopic-- is there a psx iso verifier? :)

if any mods feel that this post has beaten any rule, please inform me so i can edit it [so my question still gets answered] :D

that's it!

Cheers

-Leerz

montpics

I'll make this short and simple, what's the best rom renaming utility out there?
Lots, so far

clrMAME
GoodTools
Romcenter
NSRT (for SNES)

Probably there's more than those above.
and I like that 'ease of use' feeling from Romcenter,
so which do you guys prefer?
Depends on the person itself. Can't say much about that. :D
also, I also found that, some are not detected by goodtools[goodgba][cowering], but are detected by Romcenter,
--yes, I do have the latest definitions--
GoodTools hadn't been updated for a long time. Plus, GoodTools and Romcenter are different with each other based on renamings and others.

#2 n64 rom renaming utility, yes, I use Good64 too and Romcenter too
however, there are also some files that aren't detected by those programs [and their databases]
what gives?
Most possibility is that yours is an outdated one. Get the latest version.

#3 since I do keep a lot of roms on my library[64,gba,nes,snes], which do you guys prefer for compressing and backup
Personally I prefer both 7z and zip on for backup.
#4, --bit offtopic-- is there a psx iso verifier? :)
No, or I would say NEVER.

If you are looking for an updated dats,

GoodTools
Advance-Power (for NDS and GBA)
AllStar No-Intro (Most people would prefer this one)
Logiqx (for Arcade games)
NSRT (for SNES)

Last edited:

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
GoodTools hadn't been updated for a long time. Plus, GoodTools and Romcenter are different with each other based on renamings and others.
I'm well aware of that, infact I mentioned
--yes, I do have the latest definitions-- //dats

#4, --bit offtopic-- is there a psx iso verifier?
No, or I would say NEVER.
I see no relevance from the answer? 'NEVER'?
e.g is there a gba emulator = 'NEVER'
strange...

GoodTools and Romcenter are different with each other based on renamings and others.
yes, I aware of this, but what I was asking is which do most people prefer?
the [numbered/chrono list] list or just the name [alphabetical]

---btw, no intro sounds good :)--

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
My opinions:
Rom manager: clrmame. A bit hard to get into, but you can't live without it after you learned it.
Archive format: *.zip. This is the archive format supported by clrmame and also by most emulators. Also, it let's you TorrentZip your ROMs, should you ever join an emu tracker.
Renamer: For handheld/console: Definitely No-Intro. They are almost always up-to-date and only dat what has been released on a cart (so no translations/hacks/etc.). And of course it rulez, since I'm a mod there :p j/k
For Arcade: Logiqx for most smaller emulators, robber804/EgoElf's MAME dats for MAME.

What montpics meant by NEVER is that almost all ISOs available on the net are ripped in a different way. The only way to be able to create a renamer for ISOs is to provide precise instructions how to rip your discs.
Check f.e. PSXDB (Google for it) for more info.

Last edited:

Zach

I have to argue differently here. Just like people can create tools to verify roms based on proper dumping practices and looking at current dumps versus one done by a qualified dumper; you can do the same with ISOs.

All you need is to get qualified rippers burning with specific hardware to produce the correct image. You catalog that image, and any other different ones you come across and label them accordingly. I'm sure there are PLENTY of ways to distinguish one rip from another, and in the case of two different rips where the game works fine, lable [a] Alternates.

The problem here is the time and effort involved, and the issue of file size. Even once something is burned to a disc, you still have to sit there and go through what will most likely be a considerably long process..

So.. possible? Yes. Probable? No. But definitely not "never".

As for compression, if you want compression purely for archival reasons and to cram as much on a cd/dvd as possible then absolutely go with 7zip. When it comes to roms the compression is absolutely unmatched. I have never seen another format take 11GB of Gameboy roms and compress them down to between 3.5 - 4 GB. Results vary based on the type of ROM you are compressing, but overall 7zip almost ALWAYS wins on maximum compression settings. The only drawback is it can take HOURS to compress something and also as mentioned, many emulators don't support 7zip.. And it's sad that I've heard some ignorant reasons for it such as "we already got zip and RAR why bother?" because anyone who has actually used 7zip knows what it is capable of.

If you want them compressed for gaming on demand, then go with plain old ZIP.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I have to argue differently here. Just like people can create tools to verify roms based on proper dumping practices and looking at current dumps versus one done by a qualified dumper; you can do the same with ISOs.

All you need is to get qualified rippers burning with specific hardware to produce the correct image. You catalog that image, and any other different ones you come across and label them accordingly. I'm sure there are PLENTY of ways to distinguish one rip from another, and in the case of two different rips where the game works fine, lable [a] Alternates.

True, but the thing with this is that you will need to re-rip the games. You can't do it in the ROM-way by cataloging existing dumps.
TOSEC, DarkWater and PSXDB are doing it this way and it is IMHO the only correct way to do this. In this way you can create an ISO with your own game that matches the dat.

Zach

Well that's the whole point really.. Propogate a good set around the net so the other crumby ones are pushed to the back (hopefully).

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
My opinions:
Rom manager: clrmame. A bit hard to get into, but you can't live without it after you learned it.
Archive format: *.zip. This is the archive format supported by clrmame and also by most emulators. Also, it let's you TorrentZip your ROMs, should you ever join an emu tracker.
I think I can handle 'understanding it' :) thanks! [after I got my hands on goodtools I never stopped using it [till these problems]
I guess it would be the same as clrmame :D Kudos!

Renamer: For handheld/console: Definitely No-Intro. They are almost always up-to-date and only dat what has been released on a cart (so no translations/hacks/etc.). And of course it rulez, since I'm a mod there :p j/k
Yea, since montpics mentioned it, I tried and tested it asap, I tried it on my hacked (nfsu) gba rom and tried to play around with it [read a few articles] still doesn't seem to give, anyway, i'll try to read more stuff regarding it [or maybe you can give a few notes]

for Arcade: Logiqx for most smaller emulators, robber804/EgoElf's MAME dats for MAME.
Already had my hands on these

What montpics meant by NEVER is that almost all ISOs available on the net are ripped in a different way. The only way to be able to create a renamer for ISOs is to provide precise instructions how to rip your discs.
Check f.e. PSXDB (Google for it) for more info.

hmm, still, from experience, [ripping some games myself]
I think it's possible, I mean, just by opening the ISO and verifying the FILES inside[directories, files etc] could be crc32[cataloging] or whichever. just the matter of getting it on a database.

I mean, there isn't really that much versions released right?
[maybe like 2 versions pal/ntsc or re-release by the developers/distributors]

As for compression, if you want compression purely for archival reasons and to cram as much on a cd/dvd as possible then absolutely go with 7zip. When it comes to roms the compression is absolutely unmatched. I have never seen another format take 11GB of Gameboy roms and compress them down to between 3.5 - 4 GB. Results vary based on the type of ROM you are compressing, but overall 7zip almost ALWAYS wins on maximum compression settings. The only drawback is it can take HOURS to compress something and also as mentioned, many emulators don't support 7zip..
In agreement, yes, in fact, I could care less about file sizes, still, compressing them is important[just makes it feel neat], logically of course, for saving space, but I could really care less about cramming them onto a disk, I just want them safe, btw, regarding compressing huge numbers of 7zip and other files, since the individual roms are already compressed, packing them as 'store' or no compression would simply give the same results :)' hence you get faster decompression when opening those huge 'goodsets' :p

And it's sad that I've heard some ignorant reasons for it such as "we already got zip and RAR why bother?" because anyone who has actually used 7zip knows what it is capable of.
Agreed, if they were to include 7zip compatibility, it shouldn't take them an hour to apply it, imo, they got rar and zip working, 7zip should be easy since it handles pretty similarly with the existing ones 'usage wise'

Well that's the whole point really.. Propogate a good set around the net so the other crumby ones are pushed to the back (hopefully).
yes, don't we all love seeing those (!) stuff :D

I give my great regards and thanks to all the people who were kind enough to partake in this topic :)

--edit-- any of you came across my post on the Sony Playstation section, :D please shed some light

cheers!

-Leerz