overclocking toturial.

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
does anyone has some experience with overclocking, i want to try it, but because i don't wan't to mess up my computer, i thought maybe you guys could help me... any help appricieated.... for people who don't know what overclocking is, it is letting your video card run as a higher one, but it can end up in making your pc explode xD

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Wouldn't attempt it unless you have specifically upgraded your cooling and power supply. You might get a very minor overclock running stably but anything that will make a significant difference to performance will kill your hardware fairly quickly unless you've got the hardware to power it and cool it properly.

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
Wouldn't attempt it unless you have specifically upgraded your cooling and power supply. You might get a very minor overclock running stably but anything that will make a significant difference to performance will kill your hardware fairly quickly unless you've got the hardware to power it and cool it properly.

fair enough, however i would like information, about how to do it, because i will proberly need it in near future (then with the ability to cool it properly):happy:

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
It mainly depends on what you're trying to overclock. What's your hardware?

to be honest im not sure, you see it's not on my pc... but i've only heard about it and don't know how to do it, soon when i will be with a friend of mine we will overclock his pc to play cod4 and stuff on very high graphics...

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=284
That's a good place to start looking. I'm also a member there under the same name.

Keep in mind, if the games you want to play are currently unplayable, overclocking isn't going to make it playable. The performance gains most likely won't get you into a higher bracket of graphics settings, either.

mmmm.... ok then... it still is handy to know i thinks.:happy: at leas thanks for the information.

Zach

If you don't know what hardware you are working with specifically, and you don't know what to do you're going to end up breaking something, or worse. So be sure and read up as much as you can.

I could type a two page post about Overclocking, building a water cooling systemto do it, or going with a peltier or phase change etc. But tbh until you get the basics down and experiment with some old junk if you have it laying around, it'll probably confuse the hell out of you..

I don't think its worth it too much these days with some of the more modern CPU. As technology advances raw clockspeed will continue to become less and less important. RAW Mhz (or Ghz if you will) is like Horsepower, your CPU's architecture is the drive train efficiently turning that power into torque to get it going fast off the line. You can have all the horsepower in the world, but if you can't properly apply the torque it generates, its useless.

Back in the old days if you had a Pentium II/III or AMD K6 or whatever, even a 486DX, if you got 50mhz it was the bomb and it was noticeable.. Today it would take a couple hundred Mhz and you still would have a hard time spotting the difference outside of benchmarks.

I OC'ed my Core 2 Duo for a while, with the stock cooler and crappy TIM, no special paste or anything. Didn't notice much for my couple hundred Mhz and it ran a little too hot for my liking. So I just sit happily at 2.1Ghz.. If I wasn't poor though I'd probably be at 3Ghz or more with some good Water Cooling.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into. It can turn into and obsession/addiction, and its not worth it at that point for another 10pts on 3DMark or 1FPS in Call of Duty, etc.

By the way you still need to do something about your signature. If you put both images on the same line, it will meet the Forum Rules requirements. Or you could just dump the bottom one. There's no sense having the same image for your avatar and sig.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

It can turn into and obsession/addiction, and its not worth it at that point for another 10pts on 3DMark or 1FPS in Call of Duty, etc.

I know what you mean by this. I never personally got into overclocking because I'm simply not technical enough in any sense. Anyways, I did have a couple of friends in high school who constantly talked about OCing and good ways to cool their system. I honestly wonder if they really cared about enhanced performance, or if it was a form of geeky thrill for them. If they just enjoyed the gambling and the feeling of success afterward.

the_EMU_kid

well if its an ati card the opverclocking its very easy with ATITool with its find max core/memory then scan artifacts for about 15 minutes to be sure it doesnt overheat wll if its nvidia i dont have much experience because on my new rig i am pleased with my fps(frames per second not first person shooter :p)

Last edited:

Zach

Kind of depends on the person..

My efforts were always aimed at

A. A really quiet computer.
B. Any performance I can get after that.

Water cooling will spoil even the most deaf person when it comes to quiet PC's. There were times even after I had been doing it for years, I would double check to make sure the PC was actually turned on, or the pump was running, etc.

Some people do it for bragging rights, and others do it just to see how far they can push the technology.

the_EMU_kid

Kind of depends on the person..

My efforts were always aimed at

A. A really quiet computer.
B. Any performance I can get after that.

Water cooling will spoil even the most deaf person when it comes to quiet PC's. There were times even after I had been doing it for years, I would double check to make sure the PC was actually turned on, or the pump was running, etc.

Some people do it for bragging rights, and others do it just to see how far they can push the technology.

but do you Know how to emulate pcsx2 with 1 single core

overcloking and Pentium4 cpu to 6.2 ghz with an cooler with ice i know its crazy but i saw it on youtube

onewecallgod

well if its an ati card the opverclocking its very easy with ATITool with its find max core/memory then scan artifacts for about 15 minutes to be sure it doesnt overheat
Anyone who uses ATItool like that doesn't know what they're talking about. The artifact scanner doesn't work and find max clocks overshoots by a lot. Looping the latest 3D Mark for eight hours is the best idea, then at the end of the run, look closely for artifacts.

the_EMU_kid

Anyone who uses ATItool like that doesn't know what they're talking about. The artifact scanner doesn't work and find max clocks overshoots by a lot. Looping the latest 3D Mark for eight hours is the best idea, then at the end of the run, look closely for artifacts.

come on dont make me look bad :D i use this on my old ati9250 so i get from 239.82 core 165.97memory to 268.31core 198.28memory,i know its not very much but from an unplayble 16-18 fps i can have a ''playble'' 20-25 so i can still on MY pc without bothering my big bro

Zach

I never really had much success with noticeable performance from overclocking video cards, and frankly with the re-emergence of SLI as a viable technology on modern cards, as well as the new multi-core card that are coming out, I find it pretty much pointless, again, unless you are obsessed with your e-dick and benchmark scores.

the_EMU_kid

I never really had much success with noticeable performance from overclocking video cards, I find it pretty much pointless, again, unless you are obsessed with your e-dick and benchmark scores.

why pointless,if you can squeeze your old rig some horsepower and still can play some games without paying some extra cash and get some free FPS
p.s. whats a e-dick

Zach

If you don't know, then you're too young to have it explained to you...

As for why it's pointless.. a handful of FPS is NOT gonna improve anything. Even if you got 10 or 15 FPS out of it, if it was only in the high end, then it won't do much either. What you need is a smaller gap between your high and low FPS. You need it to be more -stable-. That is what creates fluidity of movement.

You could play a game smoothly at 30FPS if it was a constant smooth output that only deviated +/-5 frames. For the cost of the cooling equipment it would take to get a $200 or less video card to render 10FPS faster, you could have simply bought a higher end model that would be a hell of a lot faster, and more stable and efficient because its running cooler.

Like I said, it didn't used to be this way, but I have been seeing it for years that we are approaching a wall that we cannot currently breakthrough because of technology limits, the laws of physics, not just because of financial limits. It's called diminishing returns, it affect everything from hard drives to CPU's to GPU's on video card. Clock speed alone is only going to get you so much, and these days it doesn't translate well into real-world performance gains.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Its also a thermal disaster. Overclocking does cause extra heat and stress on the components and will massively reduce the life of the hardware (without sticking on decent extra cooling) so you end up having to buy a new card anyway.

With GPU's you tend to find that its memory and number of pipelines that make the biggest difference to performance rather than the actual clock speed anyway. In most cases the only perceivable difference you'll see from a grpahics card overclock is when running benchmarks rather than anything noticable in-game so effectively you're destroying your card for the sake of seeing a slightly bigger number onscreen.

onewecallgod

Just to play devil's advocate, because that's what I do, there's only a few circumstances that overclocking is actually helpful:
-You can easily overclock to at least 20% faster than stock with either no bump, or a modest pump in voltage. If this isn't true, then don't bother for any of the remaining reasons.
-You run extremely calulation intensive programs often that output linearly increases with clockrate, such as: encoding, archiving, certain Photoshop effects and distributed computing projects like SETI, FAH, Prime...etc. Gaming is clearly not on the list unless you fall into the following category:
-The game you play is severly CPU intensive, or your current graphics card is bottlenecked by your CPU due to running multicards (SLI,CrossFire) or just generally being old.