Some basic newbie advice needed & has anyone used Click-2U emulator?

IzzyS

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this although I remember a few years ago downloading a PS2 emulator but it didn't work well on our computer at the time but I thought the technology might have moved on since then... I have alot of stuff connected to my TV and dont really have the room for a console but I like to have a good choice of games, I have the main portable consoles (PSP & DS) and have just thought today maybe I should re-look into PS2 emulators for PCs, if any are fairly user friendly, don't overload PCs with spyware etc. and work well then it'd be pretty cool to have such a wide choice of extra games :)

Anyway, I searched on Download.com for PS2 emulators and found what looks like a pretty new one called 'Click-2U' which has got a couple of pretty good reviews, it says it was released as freeware in late May this year. Has anyone here used it? is it any good?

I just wanna know if its worth trying one of these programs, if that one is any good... I mean I know a bit of IT but im no real expert when it comes to the technology behind these things, if they have any real likelihood of making my laptop hang/crash then it wouldn't be worth it to me since I rely on my laptop and also my dads been working on it today to try and speed it up a bit (using disc cleanup and stuff) and I don't want to download a program just after I get it back that screws it up and makes it unreliable again...

My laptop is just under 3 and a half years old, runs XP Home, has c. 12gb of free space I believe, maybe more I haven't checked in a while and it has 256mb ram... is this much less than is needed for a decent gameplay experience on any of these emulators? and is it worth me risking downloading/installing an emulator or are they not really reliable or/and user friendly enough, if you know what I mean... also like I say I'd like to know, if it is worth looking into, if anyone has used the Click-2U emulator and is that any good? as it seems to be a very new one, maybe its worth trying rather than one that was developed years ago(?) *shrug*

I'm just curious, im not looking for amazing gameplay I guess just something that I can use so if I were to spot a cheap PS2 game I could put it in my CD/DVD ROM drive and get a bit of fun out of it thats all really... im not a hardcore gamer but it'd give me something to get a bit of fun out of during the summer, thats all im looking for...

sorry I know I kinda 'go on a bit' lol (ie sorry this is such a long post), thanks in advance for any replies - cheers :D

IzzyS

actually just ignore this, ive kinda decided not to risk it... I was worried itd be too difficult if I were to buy the console, to connect it as I already have a DVD player, a 2nd VCR and a cable box connected to my TV but I looked up info. on how to set it up and I think I could probably do it and just keep pull the leads out when its not needed... plus I read about the copyright issues and so on and I figure its not worth the risk really I'd rather not risk my laptop running slow or/and me getting into any trouble from using this kind of technology so i think ill maybe wait a while and think about buying a 2nd hand console instead... so just ignore this, sorry if I wasted anyones time

Spellsong

Gray Mage
No one is not going to come knocking on your door for using it. Emulation is legal, its just that BIOS and ISOs are not. PS2 emulation still has a way to go anyway.

Zach

And ontop of that simply installing an emulator isn't going to make your whole PC run slower... laptop or not.

Geotide

bios for the ePSX and the PCSX2 is a concept that I need explained... a bios is obtained in what manner? downloaded from some 3rd party site? gotten from the game disk itself? I'm not certain what the emulators are requesting when they ask for bios and things of this nature :confused: sorry for the noobish question but a simple explanation would be excellent!

Robert

I had this Click-2U emulator examined by the experts and according to them, it's just a cheap & nasty ripoff of PCSX2 0.9.2

The PCSX2 team is now aware of this situation!

mhl12

bios for the ePSX and the PCSX2 is a concept that I need explained... a bios is obtained in what manner? downloaded from some 3rd party site? gotten from the game disk itself? I'm not certain what the emulators are requesting when they ask for bios and things of this nature :confused: sorry for the noobish question but a simple explanation would be excellent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

pcsx2 is the best ps2 emulator right now.