Defense bill could stifle computer trade

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

In a move that has re-energized the debate over export controls on high-performance computers, the latest version of a defense-spending bill would require companies to seek licenses to export even underpowered desktop computers.

Today, computer sellers are required to get a license to export any computer with performance equal to or greater than a system with 32 Intel Itanium processors. The current version of the defense authorization act would lower that limit to systems deemed "militarily critical" by the Department of Defense. That level is currently set to the equivalent of a computer using a Pentium 3 processor running at 650MHz, state of the art in 1999 but considered feeble today.

Moreover, the proposed rules would apply to exports destined for any country, including U.S. allies.
Full article at News.com

[sarcasm]Basicaly we will need a licence to carry guns if we want to import a computer from the US.[/sarcasm]

onewecallgod

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Jul 1 2004, 02:23 PM
[sarcasm]Basicaly we will need a licence to carry guns if we want to import a computer from the US.[/sarcasm]
and how do you figure that.....?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see, you will need a licence from the US Defence Department to export anything more powerfull than a Pentium 3 processor running at 650MHz. Is that enough?

Did you see the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] at all???

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
What sucks is the stupidity of the US defence department.

Anything stronger than a P3 @ 650MHz is a risk to their security... HA!!!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about it but I think the FBI tried to force some companies to add a "back door" to the encryprion software they sold.

As I said I'm not sure about that, it may be a rumor.