U64 Frontend problem

sonic springboard
Hey guys i have another problem for you...:(

Im trying to run U64 through a frontend and im having problems with booting the image. The frontend im using is MALA everything is in order asides from 1 little problem.

When i boot the image i get the emulator screen up and have to run the image through that again.. Is there any of you out there that are running a multi system frontend like mala and using U64 and if so is there a certain command path i can use to boot straight from the image?

sorry i cant explain it better...basicly i need a way of loading everything straight from the image.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
U64 doesn't support commandline functions so while you can use a Front End to launch the emulator you can't send it a commandline telling it to launch a game directly. It needs a commandline wrapper to launch from a command line based FE like Mala.

There used to be one available at Howard Casto's Dragon King site, but that doesn't appear to be there anymore.

If no-one here has it, I would be inclined to post a polite request over at the BYOAC message boards where Howard is a member to see if anyone can help you out.

Being honest though, is there a specific reason you need to use U64?. KI and KI2 are both perfectly well emulated in Mame so you could always use that.

Last edited:

sonic springboard
Thanks for your rwply man :)
Really? i didnt know they were working for mame the u64 works perfect on my system i dunno i suppose i just asumed it wouldnt be emulated....my bad. Is there any specific things i should know about emulating it wit mame? I know that the ki versions for u64 need a hdd image and a set of files.

I tryed it just now and it says that a file is missing. Do i need a bios file of somekind?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
KI and KI2 require two files for Mame. The smaller of the two is the KI rom, the larger one is the KI CHD (compressed hunk of data) file. The CHD is 91.1Mb with the main rom coming in at about 4Mb.

Not entirely sure about the set that runs with U64. Hopefully the CHD is ok and you just need an updated rom which will be a nice small download. Check the size of the CHD you have. If it is the same filesize as the mame one then hopefully its just a rom variant you need.

If you get stuck feel free to PM.

sonic springboard
Ah i see :) well i have the hdd images for both ki and ki2,
ki packed in the zip comes in at 87.0mb and ki2 at 125mb. Is there a diffrence between the hdd img file and the chd file? I tryed to get my hands on the basic chd files for mame but i had no luck. :( I was wondering if it was a simple case of renaming the files? My hdd images are named ki_hdd and ki2_hdd but my roms are named kinst and kinst2 both at around 4mb.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The roms sound ok. You will want to unzip the CHD, then rename the CHD folder to kinst or kinst2 dependent on which one it is, then place it seperately from the rom kinst.zip inside the mame roms folder.
The file inside the CHD folder should be called kinst.chd

Run an audit and see what happens. If its no joy then you will need updated files. PM me if you get stuck.

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
The harddisk images for U64emu and MAME are different.
There used to be some files on the net to convert them, but unfortunately I can't find them anymore.
I suggest you just redownload them. A Google search should easily find them ;)