Trouble configuring PC Atari

UNOxDExELLOS

I can't get any of my Atari 2600 Roms to work on it. Whenever I try to load a game, a window pops up with the following text:

Read beyond end of file.

So then I tried using StellaX. It works with MOST of the roms I have. The others, such as Donkey Kong (CBS Electronics), Chase the Chuckwagon (Spectravideo), and Spider-Man (Parker Bros) work, but the controls don't. They don't even recognize that I'm pressing a button. Hmm...which Atari console does that remind me of? (AngryvgNerd)

Any tips?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
What other emulators have you tried?.

Z26 or Mess should do the trick. In the case of mess, you can press tab in game and remap the controls to whatever you want exactly the same way as Mame.

UNOxDExELLOS

I found some information about the Atari 2600.

It was released in 1977, though back then it was known as the Atari VCS, or "Video Computer System." The name of the console was changed to Atari 2600 in 1982 after the Atari 5200 was released.

Interestingly enough, the ROMs I have that were made before 1982 don't work.

Is there another emulator I can use? The two suggested ones have the same problem with some of the ROMs as the one I'm using.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The name change and hardware revision should be completely irrelevant. The fact you have tried several different emulators with the same results points to the problem being with your roms rather than the emulators. All the above emulators work with pre 1982 roms.

I would source alternative roms for the games you want to play and make sure the ones you are using are the good dumps (showing a (!) symbol at the end) as it sounds like the ones you are trying to use are incomplete/bad/hacks.

Last edited:

UNOxDExELLOS

I would source alternative roms for the games you want to play and make sure the ones you are using are the good dumps (showing a (!) symbol at the end) as it sounds like the ones you are trying to use are incomplete/bad/hacks.

Well I just downloaded Spider-Man - - Spider-Man (1982) (Parker Bros) (PAL) [!] - - and the controls just don't work. The game is emulated fine, but the controls just aren't working. It's a good dump as you suggested me to get, but the controls still aren't working, yet they work for most of my other games.