Is there any emulator playable with just a keyboard?

italiandragon

Hi, I`m new here....I just tried the last PS2 emulator and my new super laptop with Vista crashed immediately.

I tried the best Nintendo 64 emulator named Project 64 and I could not play the games without a gamepad.

Can I play anything with just the keyboard?

Thank alot.:)

Jale

Every known emulator to me can use the keyboard since it's a key component. Why would you use a keyboard instead of a gamepad?

italiandragon

Every known emulator to me can use the keyboard since it's a key component. Why would you use a keyboard instead of a gamepad?

simply because I don`t have a gamepad and would prefer save the money required to buying one.

Could you point me some good emulators which do not require it?

Thanks

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Virtually all emulators have options that allow you to remap controls. The vast majority are actually mapped to keyboard functions by default, requiring you to redefine the controls if you want to use a joystick or gamepad.
Look for 'Input' or 'Controller' options.

PCSX2 is unlikely to run (well/properly/at all) on your Laptop regardless of the OS installed. Emulation of recent systems like the PS2 requires a balls out PC to have anything close to functionality (Top end processor, top end GPU, 2Gb+ Ram). Even a dedicated gaming spec laptop like an Alienware will probably struggle with it. The emulation is still far from complete and many titles won't run properly on any system.You should be ok to run PS1, N64, and just about every older computer/console emulator though.
The best ones are generally available for download from this site. Once you have chosen which systems you want to emulate and installed the emulators, if you are still struggling to get them set up or remap the controls then post again and people can assist you with set up for the specific emulators you are trying to run, since each one generally has different options, requirements and functions.

For Project64 for example, go to 'options' > 'controller plugins' and you can remap each control there, although to be honest with the number of controls on an N64 pad and considering the majority of games on the system used lots of them, playing them with a keyboard will be pretty pointless and unsatisfying.
I would recommend sticking with older systems like the Megadrive, Snes, Master System and NES for keyboard play.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
theres a reason why you crashed first is that you have a laptop without a dedicated graphics card second of all laptops use intergrated graphic and third of all vista right now is unstable and it doesn't support games

Last edited:

Dangerousd777

Dangerous D's Detector
As far as I know, every emulator support a keyboard.

I think one doesn't have support, what was it called again?, no keyboard support anyways. Keyboard is harder to play, I like a gamepad of some sort better, but if it comes to keyboard and maybe mouse for perfect dark and goldeneye then I will still play, just wont be used to the layout and makes the game harder.

Last edited:

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Not all Laptops have Intergrated graphics.

gguild303

In your nightmare
I think one doesn't have support, what was it called again?, no keyboard support anyways. Keyboard is harder to play, I like a gamepad of some sort better, but if it comes to keyboard and maybe mouse for perfect dark and goldeneye then I will still play, just wont be used to the layout and makes the game harder.
Whats the point of talking to a bot? and hes banned anyways. okay most pcsx2 games you can play with a keyboard but some games you reqiure a anolog stick to play so you can either use a ps2 usb adapter a wii mote or simply just buy a logitech dual action controller(its very similar to a ps2 controller in many ways).

Ryanfaescotland

05-04-2007, 09:34 - Date and time of first post. I think this topic is spent.

But if we must keep it alive then yeah it is well worth splashing out about £10 on a gamepad because it makes a huge difference to gaming.