How to burn a file 1GB or higher??

Crazy!

Road Runner!
How would i burn data 1gB or higher onto 1 disc, can I use a dvd/rw for this as these have a capacity of 4.7GB???

i.e A PS3 Game, windows media player Video over 1GB etc, DVD Movie. ;)

Jale

Yes, you need a DVD recorder for that, or you can also downgrade the video quality using Windows Movie Maker and make it smaller than 700 MB.

Psycho_Symantic

i personally dont like to waste a full dvd disk on just a 1gb file.
i prefer mini dvd disks their 1.46gb and perfect for such a task

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
You can fit files any size on a DVD as long as the total size does not exceed 4.37 Gb as measured in Windows (or 4.7 million byte).

If you want to burn files larger than 2 Gb on a DVD you'll need to use the UDF format instead of the ISO format in your burning software (Nero has support for this). Note that UDF format might make the disc unreadable by very old operating systems (DOS etc).

Crazy!

Road Runner!
i personally dont like to waste a full dvd disk on just a 1gb file.
i prefer mini dvd disks their 1.46gb and perfect for such a task

Thanks helpful to know, I'll buy some of the them when the times right! And thanks to everyone else too! :p ;)

Jale

I don't know. Aren't miniDVDs more expensive than regular DVDs? At least in my country it's that way. MiniCDs and miniDVDs are at least the double of expensive than regular ones.

Zach

There is always DVD-RW, heh.

DVD-R's are pretty inexpensive these days now anyway. A couple unfilled ones out of a 50-spool isn't exactly a crime these days.

Jale

What's the difference between a DVD-RW and DVD+RW? All my rewritable DVDs have a "+" between them. I know it means "DVD Plus", but what's the difference from a regular DVD-RW?

Zach

I don't know the technical details.. I'm sure Wiki or something should have that info somewhere (I'd like to think). All I know is it has to do with different standards.

Most PC drives can write pretty much any standard these days though, set-top players I think are pretty decent at it as well. Older ones may have trouble though

Jale

So it's a matter of standards then. According to the Wikipedia, the DVD+RW is a non-standard DVD type because it hasn't been approved by the DVD Forum.

So technically is a non-standard DVD-RW. I see... well, I think.