Incoherent sentence in 'Quality Posting Standard' notice

Chumly

No custom user title.
You know that 'Quality Posting Standard' message that appears on every page of this forum?

Note the third sentence in the second paragraph: "And secondly to mind your posts, the actual message you are are writing."

That sentence doesn't make any sense.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
On its own it might be confusing for some people, but when read with the following explanatory sentence its perfectly clear.
Don’t write as if you are still attending the kindergarten and try to avoid posting just for the fun of pushing that button. Avoid all those “mee too” replies. Help us all form a well readable and fun forum to read.

The request to 'mind your posts' is a warning that would be understood by most people who have English as their first language ('mind the gap', 'mind yourself', 'mind your language' etc etc). 'Mind' in this context merely mean to be observant or wary.

The explanatory text in the following sentence, clarifies for anyone who has English as a second language or isn't familiar with the terminology.

So its perfectly good English.

Last edited:

Jale

Nobody cares about this anyway. I'm still seeing fucktards who write shit like if they're attending the kindergarten. That pisses me off.

English is my second language and I respect it so much.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
On its own it might be confusing for some people, but when read with the following explanatory sentence its perfectly clear.

The request to 'mind your posts' is a warning that would be understood by most people who have English as their first language ('mind the gap', 'mind yourself', 'mind your language' etc etc). 'Mind' in this context merely mean to be observant or wary.

The explanatory text in the following sentence, clarifies for anyone who has English as a second language or isn't familiar with the terminology.

So its perfectly good English.

I think he means the "are are" bit doesnt make sense.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I'm still seeing fucktards who write shit like if they're attending the kindergarten. That pisses me off.

I agree. Its my biggest annoyance on every forum I visit. I know it shouldn't matter and its fairly trivial, but butchering language really offends me for some reason.

I think he means the "are are" bit doesnt make sense.

Ah, I understand now now. :D

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Do you see now how much understandable sentences worth? That\s the whole point of that board wide notice.

Zach

If the worst flaw in the policy is that the notice has a typographical error... Well, I won't go there. It's far more polite to say we have a typo than to throw it up against the policy itself in some sort of sarcastic "in-your-face".

Chumly

No custom user title.
Apologies if my post was unclear in pointing out what exactly I found wrong with the sentence. Please understand, I have great difficulty in deciphering typical internet writing, to the point where many times I now don't bother trying. And it was quite late when I posted.

Also sorry if it came off as "some sort of sarcastic 'in-your-face'", please see my above clarification. I was only trying to help. My apologies to anyone I offended.

Last edited: