Hey, new, dont understand?

A

atrossity

I would think rom and emulation would be straightforward, but i guess its not. Ive downloaded about 3-4 "marvel vs capcom 2" roms, ranging anywhere from 22 mb to 320 mb. some files are .1 and .2 (which i have joined with hjsplit) and others are .1m and .2m (what is this??) The files that i have successfuly splitted wont open with the roms they are supposed to open with (ive tried one for mame, dc, and ps2)

I downloaded a emulator pack and all of the emulators should be pretty up to date. Why am i having so much trouble?

Psycho_Symantic

because your making the same mistake that alot of people make. you dont read the help files included with the emulators and, your unzipping the roms.....DONT!!!

even though i sound like an asshole read the mame help file theres a load of useful info in there itll answer about 90% of your questions.

side note
i dont know why people start with the more complicated emulators (mame, epsxe, SSF) i used baby steps, starting small (zsnes, rocknesX) and didnt move on until i was comfertable with the emu's i was currently using

Last edited:
A

atrossity

ok well i dont mean to sound like an asshole either but reading the readmes is pretty obvious, and yes, ive read all of them. The problem is the torrent files come pre-unzipped.. but if i zip them and try to run it-nothing. The file ive downloaded unzipped I cant run with anything.

and ive ran emulators before, just not recently-as far as i remember, it was as simple as "download emulator+download rom+hope for little bugs and issues" but it worked. all of this seems so complicated.

I guess.. what im asking is: I know you cant link to roms, but can you link to a site that I "might" find a working marvel vs capcom 2 rom on?

Zach

No, we cant'.. And you can't ask either.

When you zipped your roms did you make sure to give them correct name, and make sure they were in the folder MAME was searching for roms?

You should be able to verify the correct zip name by opening a program like MAME32 (which is much easier to use than command-line MAME)

http://mame32qa.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

The file name should be included in one of the tabs on the main games list when you open the emulator. The tab is called "directory", so just name the zip after that name and put it in your roms folder.

Also you need to make sure you have any required BIOS romsets as well, or some games (Neo Geo for example) won't run. You can't ask for BIOS files either.

If you've got all required BIOS files and it at least tries to load the game and still won't run, you may be missing roms. It will usually tell you which one your missing (I think). You can also run an audit on the romset, and I think that might help you find out what you are missing as well.

Last edited:
A

atrossity

maybe it has something to do with the bios options, but as far as i see you dont need bios for the MAME emu im using (although it claims it is more likely to bug up without)... and yes it is searching in the correct directory. the mame file i used showed up, but on the incomplete list..

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
MVC2 doesn't work with mame. The Naomi boards are still unemulated.
After a little bit of googling it appears that MVC2 doesn't currently work properly on any emulator, so even with the correct rom/iso you won't get it in a suitably playable state on a PC at the moment.
Its worth keeping an eye on NullDC (new DC emulator) though as it may be compatible with that at some point in the future. Emulators for both the DC and PS2 are still quite preliminary so compatibility (and playability) is fairly limited, particularly if you have a less than top spec PC.

Your only option for playing this game at the moment would be to try to source a secondhand Dreamcast (very cheap now) and buy the arcade perfect version that was released for it. There was also a less perfect version released for the PS2.

Last edited:
A

atrossity

MVC2 doesn't work with mame. The Naomi boards are still unemulated.
After a little bit of googling it appears that MVC2 doesn't currently work properly on any emulator, so even with the correct rom/iso you won't get it in a suitably playable state on a PC at the moment.
Its worth keeping an eye on NullDC (new DC emulator) though as it may be compatible with that at some point in the future. Emulators for both the DC and PS2 are still quite preliminary so compatibility (and playability) is fairly limited, particularly if you have a less than top spec PC.

Your only option for playing this game at the moment would be to try to source a secondhand Dreamcast (very cheap now) and buy the arcade perfect version that was released for it. There was also a less perfect version released for the PS2.

I appreciate the responses. I guess thats why none of the roms ive downloaded (for whatever emu)arent working. I do have a dreamcast, I do have a ps2, I guess ill just end up buying the game for one of those..

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I do have a dreamcast, I do have a ps2, I guess ill just end up buying the game for one of those..

That would probably be the best option. You can also download the game for the DC (do not ask where to get it here), since 99% of the DCs can handle burned games.