Questions about RAM... :)

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Hi AGAIN, I'll soon be known as the annoying question boy I'm damn sure.. haha! :) anyway I'm making this topic for the several questions that are going to come out of my mouth about RAM, ok. My first question is, is this the type of RAM I'm looking for? this item looks dead cheap and it's the correct memory type for my system -

Look ->> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-KINGSTON-...598QQihZ005QQcategoryZ172QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's 2 sticks of 256MB of DDR SDRAM memory, which is the memory type of the 256MB RAM already installed on my computer in the DIMM slot, so I'm guessing the other 2available slots use the same type of memory?? The only difference is that my current system RAM 'in use' speed is PC2700 (166Mhz) and this is PC3200, does this matter. So overall with all the info I've given about my memory/RAM config is this RAM ideal for installation or is there more I have to take into consideration?

PS- I'm posting all of these questions because I feel I need as much knowledge as possible about all aspects of the hardware I'm going to buy and install into my computer, all of the helpful feedback I'm getting I'm going to copy and print out to help me when installing along with other installation guides on the net {that's if none comes with it}. Thanks!:p

Last edited:

Jale

PC3200 is DDR 400. PC2700 is DDR 333. Which one to get?

The answer: PC2700 (DDR 333).

PC3200 (DDR 400) are for newer systems.

Last edited:

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Thanks, I'll look for that type then! :)

So there's nothing else to consider before buying the RAM?? Anyway I post the one I select on here for you to check!
;) :p

Jale

I don't think there's something else to consider. There are motherboards that support both DDR 2700 and DDR 3200, but one type can be used at a time. For example, if you're going to install two memory modules, make sure they're of the same time.

Crazy!

Road Runner!
I don't think there's something else to consider. There are motherboards that support both DDR 2700 and DDR 3200, but one type can be used at a time. For example, if you're going to install two memory modules, make sure they're of the same time.

Ok, I understand, I've visited the website of my motherboard manufacturer and I've found a similar board I couldn't find the exact same named one but it didn't say anyhting about either of the memory types. I've got 256MB of DDR PC2700 memory currently installed so I'll just buy another 256MB of the same type. Thanks! :)

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Great! Thanks and also I've found the correct user manual for my motherboard on the Epox Website, It's cool it's got everything I need to know in detail about installing all components i.e RAM, AGP,PCI etc and I've found out that my AGP slot can only take a 1.5V AGP Card. :D

Last edited:

Zach

I've run mismatched pairs of ram over the years and never had any real problems.. Back when there was stuff like 32-pin sets it was more important indeed, but these days it's only really important to have a matching pair if you are going to overclock or something like that.

Jale

I've never had luck with mismatched shit, that's why I get stuff with the same features.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I've won a 256MB stick of RAM, look here- so I'll be able to play new/newer games now after I get my new Geforce card too- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=130101230453&rd=1&rd=1

I might not come on here for installing after all, cos I've got hte motherboard manual instructions, but I might if something goes wrong and I'll let you know if it all works out!

Thanks for ya help! ;) :p

If its the first time you've upgraded RAM yourself, be wary that RAM sticks are very susceptible to static damage. Try to only handle the sticks by the edges and earth yourself beforehand (or use an earth strap which you attach to your wrist and the PC case), take them straight from the packaging and fit them into the PC, to avoid laying them on any surface (particularly carpet).

Last edited:

Jale

Oh, yeah. A very important thing (how dare me to forget such a key factor).

You can also touch the metal part of your computer chasis and naked feet to earth yourself. The same goes with any device such as video cards, capture cards, sound cars, anything with integrated circuit.

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Thanks guys! I got my RAM stick today, it's brand new and all, I haven't had time to install it, but I'm gonna do it tonight! :)

EDIT: I've installed it's all working fine but theres still 32MB of it using to run my onboard graphics so I'm hoping to get a new card soon to get rid of that! My computer does seem to be moving way faster than before, I don't know if it's just my imagination but it truely is!! Thanks.

Last edited:

Zach

I wouldn't waste money on something stupid like an "earth straps" or whatever they want to call them these days. I've heard more than my share of stories about them actually causing injury anyway.

Just touch a grounded piece of unpainted metal. Like your case, on the inside.
It works and it's free.

I've never fried a piece of equipment from static in the nearly 13 years I've been working on PC's. Many times in less than desirable conditions other people would scold me for. As long as you properly ground yourself, you have nothing to worry about.

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Hi, it's ok, on the other thread I said I'd already done it, I haven't been FRIED like a chicken! :) Thanks!:p