Firefox 0.9 Official

Guitar Gamer

Most excellent. Firefox is my fav. browser. I'll be getting that right about now. *strolls on over to site*

On the topic of Firefox, have you ever heard of the web developers extension? It adds some great features for those into web-dev - there's so many its hard to even think where to start listing them. For those interested visit...

http://chrispederick.myacen.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrading now... thanks for the news...

Update: (after Upgrade)
Hmm... I'll have to get used to the new skin.

But... YES! It finally does what Mozilla already did: if you have
like 10 tabs open and accidentilly hit the wrong "X", in 0.8 you
lost all tabs. In 0.9, it asks you if that's what you really want...
(a good thing, as I made that mistake several times)

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm not working for Apple anymore you know...

Also, even at Apple I only used Safari for work related purposes -- in order to
keep things seperate (as you tend to open and close a lot of browser windows
when your trying to find information for a customer), I used FireFox for Mac...

I even recommended it to a few customers! :)

In any case converted several collegues. One of them even got recommended
to use Mozilla Thunderbird by a customer :)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by GHDpro@Jun 16 2004, 02:39 PM
One of them even got recommended
to use Mozilla Thunderbird by a customer :)
That's by far the worst mail client I ever used(heck, just as bad as netscape mail client). Eudora is far better than that.

Guitar Gamer

Don't know if anyone else has had problems with 0.9 yet but mine keeps crashing suddenly. What happens is it loads up, is about to diplay the page, then a Netscape 'Quality Feedback Agent' window pops up, followed by a warm-hearted 'Error' from windows forcing FF to close. I went through the Feedback crap but the problem persists. I've tried uninstalling it as well but no luck. So, for now I've reverted to 0.8. If anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening I'd like to hear. Thanks.

Guitar Gamer

Yep - I uninstalled 8 before installing 9. Also I tried deselecting 'Quality Feedback Agent' while doing a custom installation and that didn't work either. The only thing that changed was that there's no pop up window anymore. It just crashes. Fun fun fun. I have a few more things to try before I give up. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Guitar Gamer

There's tons of reasons for that. The biggest one for me is that Firefox is a standards based browser. In others words when you code sites correctly they will display correctly. Where as in IE everything looks right when things are done incorrectly (according to standards) The tabbing system is also helpful. Saves my damn monitor space.

Go Firefox, go CSS, go XHTML. *pumps fist a few times respectively*

:)

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, just visted mozilla.org and noticed FireFox 0.9.2 and Thunderbird 0.7.2 are out...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using 0.9.2 for the past three days. There was a serious exploit at 0.9.1 so a new release had to come out.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, although I downloaded it anyway, I only now found out what was changed.

Apparently older version(s) (mayby just 0.9.1?) contain a "shell:" protocol handler
which could allow malicious websites to run executables on your PC. Sounds almost
like a IE-like bug, except that in FireFox it's a feature -- just an unwanted one at that.
(it can be manually disabled in the config as well)