WinVICE x64 problem

bobafett5607

Beginning C++ Programmer
I am using WinVICE v1.20 with the Commodore 64 EXE file and the default keyboard settings. I ran R-Type.d64 and get to this screen:

I have no idea which key to press at this point, and I tried many of them! I just can't get this game to start.

Zach

If you have a game controller, try pushing a button or something on that.
Otherwise, try looking for the Fkey assignments and hit one of those if you haven't, and the Run key. I haven't used a real C64 in so many years I'm not much help either.

Also make sure it's not loading anymore or something, heh.

bobafett5607

Beginning C++ Programmer
If you have a game controller, try pushing a button or something on that.
Otherwise, try looking for the Fkey assignments and hit one of those if you haven't, and the Run key. I haven't used a real C64 in so many years I'm not much help either.

Also make sure it's not loading anymore or something, heh.

None of that worked, sorry. I'll try looking for the game manual on the Internet, because nothing's working.

Zach

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.. This is one of the primary reasons I don't emulate C64 myself.. It's just too damn confusing with a modern keyboard, lol

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You need to go into the controller options in Winvice (settings, joystick settings) and set up the joystick device and define the controls. That done, press whichever button you assign as fire and the game will start.

I think the default joystick fire button is '5' on the numeric keypad once you have enabled joystick control.

bobafett5607

Beginning C++ Programmer
Sorry everyone, none of that worked for me. Maybe I'll have more luck with the PSP port of VICE...but first I have to get another 1.5 <TA-082 one on ebay (scratched screen, UMD drive doesn't work)