NEED HELP RUNNING CHANKAST EMULATOR OR ANY DC EMULATOR!!!

maxunlimit3d

Dreamcast Emu Newbie
Hi! I recently tried running chankast on my old pc trying to play Shenmue and it worked, but the game ran really slow. I used to have a P4 2.6 GHz processor, ati radon 9250 128 mb graphic, and 256 mb ram.

Now I upgraded my computer and here are the specs:

Intel Celeron D 3.2 GHz
Socket 755 Motherboard
256 MB of DDR RAM
256 MB NVidia 6200 Graphic card
200 GB hard drive.

I upgraded my computer just so I can play shenmue on my PC. I mounted the image on my deamon tools and chose the E as my cd drive which is where the image file is at. but when I tried to run the game on chankast, at first it says Cannot read TOC from i: drive. Then I messed around with the configurations and tried again but now it says it says I/O error and still doesn't work. Can anyone help me? It ran on DEmul but it ran really slow and the keyboard input control doesnt work.

If anyone knows, please help me!

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Emulation is mainly processor and Ram intensive. The processor you have 'upgraded' to is worse than your old one even if it has a faster clock speed and you still only have 256Mb of Ram (which is the minimum recommended spec just to run Windows Xp).
Your old GPU was perfectly fine for emulation too.
Effectively the new PC probably offers worse performance pound for pound than your old one.

Chankast is a hungry beast so I would recommend just sticking 1Gb of Ram into your old rig.

Lastly bear in mind that Chankast is by no means complete or perfect and lots of games are glitchy/Buggy/Slow/Dont work at all using it regardless of the PC you run it on.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The minimum to run Windows XP is 64 MB. The recommended is 128 MB.

Depends how well you want it to work. :p

Seriously though. 256Mb of Ram is pretty under par for running emulators like Chankast and more recent versions of Mame. With anything else going on in Windows the PC just won't have it.

ChouZangetsu

Hi! I recently tried running chankast on my old pc trying to play Shenmue and it worked, but the game ran really slow. I used to have a P4 2.6 GHz processor, ati radon 9250 128 mb graphic, and 256 mb ram.

You'd probably need about 700 mb ram to run it smoothly.
Now I upgraded my computer and here are the specs:

Intel Celeron D 3.2 GHz
Socket 755 Motherboard
256 MB of DDR RAM
256 MB NVidia 6200 Graphic card
200 GB hard drive.

I upgraded my computer just so I can play shenmue on my PC. I mounted the image on my deamon tools and chose the E as my cd drive which is where the image file is at. but when I tried to run the game on chankast, at first it says Cannot read TOC from i: drive. Then I messed around with the configurations and tried again but now it says it says I/O error and still doesn't work.

I/O error = the image is corrupt or no longer bootable.

You could make it bootable again if you were to burn it to a CD-RW with Alcohol 120% then rip it off the disk with Alcohol 120%, then mount the .mds.

If it still doesn't work then the image is corrupt.

Can anyone help me? It ran on DEmul but it ran really slow and the keyboard input control doesnt work.

I suggest using Chankast EX v1.4.7 as it saves all configurations and has framerate limiting (30 or 60 fps).

Last edited:

thepiglet

Use NullDC. It's much better ( and easier to config ). Just use Joy2key and your good to go - even your spec should get you a 'playable' game.

Enjoy!