Saddam Hussein Is Dead.

Jale

Iraqi TV Says Saddam Hussein Executed
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA and QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA 12.29.06, 10:47 PM ET

Saddam Hussein, the shotgun-waving dictator who ruled Iraq with a remorseless brutality for a quarter-century and was driven from power by a U.S.-led war that left his country in shambles, was taken to the gallows and executed Saturday, Iraqi state-run television reported.

"Criminal Saddam was hanged to death," Iraqiya television said in an announcement. The station played patriotic music and showed images of national monuments and other landmarks.

It was a grim end for the 69-year-old leader who had vexed three U.S. presidents. Despite his ouster, Washington, its allies and the new Iraqi leaders remain mired in a fight to quell a stubborn insurgency by Saddam loyalists and a vicious sectarian conflict.

A U.S. judge on Friday refused to stop Saddam's execution, rejecting a last-minute court challenge.

The execution came 56 days after a court convicted Saddam and sentenced him to death for his role in the killings of 148 Shiite Muslims from a town where assassins tried to kill the dictator in 1982. Iraq's highest court rejected Saddam's appeal Monday and ordered him executed within 30 days.
  • What are your thoughts about this?
  • Do you think it was the right desicion to execute him?
  • Does this mean peace will come?
On a personal note, the main goal of this war was the oil and Bush said he won't allow oil to fall in terrorists hands. What is getting me worried is that our president Hugo Chávez is a terrorist to Bush and he (along with the CIA) tried to overthrow him in 2002. We have one of the most richest natural resources in the world.

Since one of the goals of this war was to capture Saddam Hussein, why the US troops are still there in Irak? Will Venezuela be USA's next target?

Robert

Give it time. The aim of the US is to gain total control of the world's money through their corporations. The president and the army are ready to assist again whenever they feel it's necessary.

Did you know more US soldiers have died in the Iraq war than people in 9/11 ??

And Bush wants to send in even more, completely ignoring public opinion.
Something's going on in the White House and it stinks.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
First the replies:

On a personal note, the main goal of this war was the oil and Bush said he won't allow oil to fall in terrorists hands. What is getting me worried is that our president Hugo Chávez is a terrorist to Bush and he (along with the CIA) tried to overthrow him in 2002. We have one of the most richest natural resources in the world.

Since one of the goals of this war was to capture Saddam Hussein, why the US troops are still there in Irak? Will Venezuela be USA's next target?

I though you were British for some reason. I have no idea why, no one ever said you were, but you just speak English pretty well and I guess I just assumed.

I seriously doubt that we'll be in Venezuela at all, although Hugo Chávez isn't a popular man in the states. He doesn't exactly pose much of a threat to us (no offense and I'm not saying that Iraq did because it didn't). We're stretched thin as it is and no one here (at least in the civilian population) wants another war.

Something tells me that this war went much deeper than oil. I think the Bush administration needed to cover something up over there, but that's just my guess. Who knows what it was or how far back it went. But, I have no proof of this. It's just a feeling.

Give it time. The aim of the US is to gain total control of the world's money through their corporations. The president and the army are ready to assist again whenever they feel it's necessary.

Did you know more US soldiers have died in the Iraq war than people in 9/11 ??

And Bush wants to send in even more, completely ignoring public opinion.
Something's going on in the White House and it stinks.

Your statement is silly. The corporations you speak of are mostly international and although some people in our government may own some of them, so do civilians and governments in many nations around the world. Yes, the war in Iraq was a horrible idea and I agree it stinks. Most Americans want out and that's why the left wing won the mid-term elections (I'm a democrat), but to place the blame with corporations or to imply that the US government uses corporations to "take over the world's money" is out of touch with reality.

Yes, more people have died in Iraq than in 9/11 as of this week and it sucks. Yes, Iraq had little or nothing to do with 9/11, I agree, but the reason for sending in more troops is to try and wrap things up quickly and move out. Fix the mistake quickly and get out.

In 2008 I think you'll all see some changes in our foreign policy that all of us will like.

Now on to the questions:

What are your thoughts about this?

Whether we are suppose to be in Iraq or not, he did the crimes and was convicted. He's murdered masses of people for years. The world is better off without him. That being said, we didn't have the right to make it happen.

Do you think it was the right decision to execute him?

Isn't that what he did to people that were convicted of murder in his country? What's good enough for one murder is good enough for another.

Does this mean peace will come?

No. This will make things worse in the short term. I'd say peace will come after we move out and Iraq fights a civil war, if it comes then. The middle east has been at war since biblical times and may never truly be at peace. Who knows? Not me.

hitmonlee

i am completely against the death penalty under any circumstances. i used to just be against it in my own country, and thought well if you break the law in a country with the death penalty, too bad. i realised how hypocritical that was, and am now totally against it.

punishing murder with murder makes no sense. and that's what the people who "executed" saddam did. lets not sugarcoat it here.

how can anyone think they have the right to take another human being's life?

on another note i've noticed lots of people talking about the fact now he is dead he can't be tried for all these other crimes, and those victims are not getting the justice they deserve.

Zach

The only thing more threatening than the USA are those who oppose us blindly and believe, and say anything to justify their view.

That is all I will say. Let's remember one thing. The USA didn't kill Saddam, his own people did.

Zach

Until he blows up something, then it'd be our fault for sending him there, you guys would start a war, get pwned, it'd be our fault for pwning you, and so on and so forth :bow: