Yet another FF7 problem (i know, i know, but this is different)

herky

Okay, I know you guys are super sick and tired of hearing FF7 problems, but mine isn't a crash, or a slow-down, or anything like that. I'm not retarded and I have my game running perfectly fine.

My problem is one that's really odd and one I've never seen anyone else talk about, as far as I know.

My square is PERMANENTLY mapped to the select button in the game. No matter WHAT I do, I cannot ever press the square button and have it do the square action. I have tried multiple gamepads as well as the keyboard. I can map keys perfectly fine with the emulator (ePSXe), but no matter which button I map to square, it does the "select" action. Consequently, the select button, no matter what it is mapped to, does nothing. I have tried actually going into the game and changing the button configuration in there, thinking I've outsmarted the bug. I changed buttons in there to map different actions. For example, if square was somehow permanently mapped to do "select", I changed the select button to do the square action. Still doesn't work.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I've done everything I possibly could have thought of, and searched forums and everything and never seen anyone with a similar problem. Although square isn't much of a part of the game (I've gotten nearly 20 hours into the game without ever using it), it's needed for some minigames.

I know my emulator is fine, because I can run other games (namely the MegaMan X series) just fine with square doing what it's supposed to.

If anyone has any sort of input, I really appreciate it.

montpics

Possibility that you misconfigure it in the game where there is an option that you can map you button. :rolleyes:

herky

Possibility that you misconfigure it in the game where there is an option that you can map you button. :rolleyes:

Haha, like I said, I went into the button config of the actual game and messed around with it, and it still wouldn't work. I thought being slick and mapping "select" to do "square" would work, since if my square was doing select, my square would do select which in turn would do square... haha... hard to comprehend, but either way... that didn't work either.

Xiedo

PSXeven is also worth a try... very comparable to ePSXe and easy to config.

Btw, you said you toyed with the settings to fix it, but you've tried to set them back to default, too, right?

montpics

what version of epsxe are you using? Usually, 1.5.2 works the best for FFVII
I wouldn't think so, as the registry for the controller's configuration will be the same as the latest version of ePSXe.

As Xiedo suggested earlier, time to test it with other emulators for the likes of PSXeven, SSSPSX and others. Who knows? :)