howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal

malfunkshun

is that against the rules, to put ads in your sig? and why would that matter anyway if somebody did put an ad it their sig as long as it wasn't a gazillion by a gazillion pixels?

onewecallgod

is that against the rules, to put ads in your sig?
it's not against the rules, but it is very suspicious when a new member puts advertisements for completely unrelated commercial services in their sig. we've been having a huge problem with spam within the past few days.

malfunkshun

forgive me for still not being completely satiated with that answer, but what exactly do you mean by 'suspicious'? more to the point, how does an ad in your sig make you suspect, and of what is the said person suspected of? it seems pretty clear to me that an advertisement in someone's sig is a straightforward method of making it clear that said person either has services being offered for a price, is trying to sell merchandise for a price, or possibly is trying to draw attention to something that is of interest to that person.

at other sites that i frequent, i have seen people put ads in their sigs for stuff like consoles that they have for sale, digicams, graphics cards, whatnot. why, in my sig at the site where i mod, i even have a link embedded that takes you to another gaming site that i spend a lot of time at.

edit: oh yeah, so whats the big deal with ads in the sig? you mentioned problems with spam. is a sig considered spam if it has an ad in it?

Last edited:

onewecallgod

we are a forum that discusses emulation, gaming and computers. this forum is not for people to join and peddle their goods and services, which seemed to be this member's intention seeing as how his or her first action was to advertise their commercial interests through their signature.

malfunkshun

ok, i can accept that. however, since it is not against the forum rules for someone to place advertisements in their sigs, my humble suggestion would be to update the forum rules to include a specific policy against it. calling a noob on a transgression which technically ISN'T a transgression at all, such as the ad in the sig, is something that should take place via a pm and not publicly.

will this noob ever post again? has he been scared away because his first impression, in his introduction thread no less, was a general feeling that he had done something wrong, when what he did wasn't even against the rules?

like i've said, i'm a mod at another forum. one of my top priorities as a mod is making sure that noobs feel welcome right off the bat. if they don't feel welcome, they don't stay, the site loses traffic, and the forums don't grow. this is just my two cents on the matter and i don't expect a moderator to appreciate hearing this from another noob, such as myself, but i felt compelled to express my opinion on this matter anyway. i hope i haven't generated any animosity.

Last edited:

onewecallgod

what i'm wondering is: why are you offended that i edited your signature when it was too big? first of all, it wasn't a slap on the wrist or anything, just a friendly reminder. when someone asks for warez or roms, do you send them a PM saying that it's against the rules and wait for them to delete their thread? no, you close/delete/archive it on the spot. i don't see how changing an out of spec signature is any different. plus, my warning PMs always get ignored, so this saves time on my part.

i don't do things the way i do because i'm a mean power-whoring moderator who likes beating up on newbs because it makes me feel like i have a bigger penis. i've been a mod here for a pretty damn long time, so there's a good reason for all moderating actions i take. you seem like a decent and more than very coherent guy and all, but if you don't like my style, then you should find a different emulation forum.

DudeJustDoIT

Lifeless pain...
Well onewe... Thats not entirely true.
Remember the PM you sent me? I took care of it right away.
So its not that your PMs dont get answerd by the reg users.
Its just that n00bs dont pay any attention to your PMs. :biglaugh:

malfunkshun

what i'm wondering is: why are you offended that i edited your signature when it was too big? first of all, it wasn't a slap on the wrist or anything, just a friendly reminder. when someone asks for warez or roms, do you send them a PM saying that it's against the rules and wait for them to delete their thread? no, you close/delete/archive it on the spot. i don't see how changing an out of spec signature is any different. plus, my warning PMs always get ignored, so this saves time on my part.

i don't do things the way i do because i'm a mean power-whoring moderator who likes beating up on newbs because it makes me feel like i have a bigger penis. i've been a mod here for a pretty damn long time, so there's a good reason for all moderating actions i take. you seem like a decent and more than very coherent guy and all, but if you don't like my style, then you should find a different emulation forum.

first off, i didn't even realize that you had edited my sig. somebody in another thread commented that it was too big (i don't even remember who it was), and i immediately, that is... within the next minute after i saw his post, changed it to the text. it was meant to be sarcastic, yeah, but its not like i really give a crap. big deal, if i really cared, i would have edited the sig myself and reposted it instead of just trying to be a wiseass :p

i wasn't aware that any mod had actually edited my sig, so you see, that little sarcastic quip that i replaced it with wasn't directed towards you. so you probably have me wrong here.

i like to say what i think, and sometimes that offends people, but MOSTLY i'm not trying to do that. when i'm posting something that i'm serious about, i try to make it clear that i really am serious, that way it won't be taken the wrong way. if i'm an asshole in any other way, then you can be 99% sure that i'm joking and, please, don't take any of that kind of stuff seriously. and almost all of the time i won't post anything that i know really might piss somebody off. like my sarcastic sig replacement. i'll change it if it really is offensive. besides, i think the joke is kind of old now. ok i'll change it.

and its ok, i DO have another emulation forum that i consider my 'home forum'. i like to yak with different people sometimes though, thus my registering here. i'm just giving constructive criticism here, and if thats grounds for me to 'find another place to hang out' then ok, just let me know

edit: i just went back and re-read your post onewecall, and my whole point in this thread, bitching and ranting that i've been doing, hasn't been in response to MY sig, but in response to the noob who posted this thread... somebody called him on advertisements in his sig, and he grudgingly changed it. just trying to make things clear here, because from what i read of your reply, it looks like you think that i'm complaining about MY sig, which is definitely not the case

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I never saw onewecallgod's original edit to your signature. What you edited however clearly appeared as if you were trying to "give the finger" to the person that edited your signature.

I'd like to consider the matter closed as that appears to be the best choice now.

malfunkshun

see thats what happens when people jump to conclusions.

here's what happened, just so everybody knows because you all seem to still be fumbling around in the dark on this one. Dudejustdoit mentioned, in the 'what does your avy mean' thread, that my sig was too big. i changed it in response to his post. go back and check that thread if you want.

so now, you can all see that i wasn't giving the finger to the mod. now that whoever wants to can go out and see for themselves personally what happened, the case can now close. i don't like closing cases when there is still a misunderstanding going on, especially if i'm the one who's being misunderstood. i hope you understand this, mr. admin, and don't see it as a personal affront to your authority.

edit: on second thought i don't seem to be getting off on the right foot here so i'll just quietly leave and spare you peeps the hassle of putting up with me.

Last edited:

Xiedo

Wait! Sarcastic, you! Funny... sometimes. :verysad:

Seriously, you don't have to leave. Or lurk til your rep is forgotten.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Xiedo said:
Or lurk til your rep is forgotten.
What rep man ?...The dude made NO mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.