PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Does this graphics card sound kosha?

Crazy!
September 11th, 2006, 00:58
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-ATLANTIS-ATI-RADEON-9800-PRO-128MB-8x-AGP_W0QQitemZ300023520569QQihZ020QQcategoryZ27387Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The only reason is, is because it doesn't mention anything about an installation CD, I emailed the seller and he said it doesn't need one but it does need downloaded ATI Drivers from ATI.com. I'm sure it needs this cd to work properly, am I wrong? :happy:

onewecallgod
September 11th, 2006, 01:03
yes you are wrong, the only thing the CD contains are obsolete drivers.

Crazy!
September 11th, 2006, 01:07
Ok, I might put a bid in for it, thank yaaa! :p

Jale
September 11th, 2006, 02:32
You can get the drivers from ATI.com, but that Catalyst thing takes long to load everytime Windows starts up.

Crazy!
September 11th, 2006, 15:45
Yeah I've found the drivers page for RADEON on there and saw the catalyst, would I just have to download that to get it working?? Anyway I'm gonna buy one on ebay soon! Ta!:D :confused:

CrAzY!

alcoatjez
September 11th, 2006, 16:09
You can get the drivers from ATI.com, but that Catalyst thing takes long to load everytime Windows starts up.

Perhaps, but I always prefer the latest drivers over the ones that are included on the CD.

would I just have to download that to get it working??

Yep, just download and install it and it should work :)

Crazy!
September 12th, 2006, 02:07
Thanks! But I've also realised that there is a way of updating the drivers for the S3 ProSavage DDR card which I currently have, where would I go to do this? I've found some sites but the latest won't install because I think I need Windows Service Pack 1 for it to install but I've service pack 2.

onewecallgod
September 12th, 2006, 04:12
i believe S3 is now under control by Via, so you might find it there. to be honest, it was and still is utter crap that no driver update could ever fix.

Jale
September 12th, 2006, 04:49
Agreed with that. It pissed me off so much that I had to buy an ATI card.

Crazy!
September 12th, 2006, 13:06
Lo and behold, I've updated the S3 driver and I've just tried playing Zelda OOT and the problems I was having have been fixed WAHOOO!! Tahnks for the info! I'm gonna try my other games now!

EDIT- I've just tried CTR and guess what it works much smoothly, not glitches nothing, this is great, well maybe if you guys had kept your S3 Cards this update would have helped!
:)
CrAzY!

ouch123
September 23rd, 2006, 23:44
This is sort of ireelevant, but where would one go about getting the latest driver for S3 ProSavageDDR? I too have that card. Thanks, if this will be replied to.:happy:

ouch123
September 23rd, 2006, 23:56
nvm, I think I found it.:happy:

305soldier
September 26th, 2006, 01:15
Best card for emulation is... nVidia GeForce MX... :D
Lol, tell you the truth, I hated that crap. But now with this new PC I have a nice
nVidia GeForce 7300 LE. Good, so far plays N64 games as if on the real system :D
Same thing with PS1 games, and I guess the 2 gig of RAM and the dual core processor helps it a bit... :P

Jale
September 26th, 2006, 01:19
Having 2 GB of RAM doesn't help in performance. Processor and video, of course. RAM just serve as room for more applications to be executed at the same time.

onewecallgod
September 26th, 2006, 02:51
Having 2 GB of RAM doesn't help in performance. Processor and video, of course. RAM just serve as room for more applications to be executed at the same time.
most new games will see a tangable benefit with 2gb of ram. Battle Field 2 is the first one the comes to mind.

Jale
September 26th, 2006, 03:13
Yes, because with a larger amount of RAM, the game can store a lot of stuff so the game can run more efficiently. It doesn't have anything to do with speed when we talk about frames per second, that's what a video card is for.

onewecallgod
September 26th, 2006, 03:28
oh, i meant frames per second.

Jale
September 26th, 2006, 10:49
Ummm... nope. RAM doesn't boost video frame rate.

onewecallgod
September 26th, 2006, 17:17
go read some 2gb reviews that do specific tests

Zach
September 28th, 2006, 18:00
RAM will always provide some benefit to FPS because like has been said, holding more data in memory allows the game to run more efficiently, this means less 'chugging' and FPS stuttering. Textures are loading faster and thus can be utilized by the card quicker, providing smoother video.

Crazy!
September 28th, 2006, 21:05
I have a 2.00 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor and an Apollo chipset dated at 2003, does this sytem spec indicate a low or mid end system and what are it's capablities interms of emulation?

I have S3 ProSavageDRR (Latest Driver) and I can play PS1 Games 97% perfect in terms of graphics (so far!) but I'm having real audio problem, there's real bad slow downs/speedups and distortion in the sound. I can play alot of N64 games at 95% quality both graphics and sound but there are some minor problems on some games regarding both sound and graphics.