I have an idea about the ROM requests

DudeJustDoIT

Lifeless pain...
I think in every Forum HEADLINE such as the..

Site Forums

Emulation & Gaming Forums

and General Forums

We should add on that to say next it is (NO ROM REQUESTS) like this...

Site Forums (NO ROM REQUESTS)

Emulation & Gaming Forums (NO ROM REQUESTS)

and General Forums (NO ROM REQUESTS)

And also put it up again in the HEADLINE for the forum and Topic they choose as further reminders that we will not help with their problems.. Because apparently no one seems to read the forum rules...

Good or bad???

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
It would look untidy with "NO ROM REQUESTS" everywhere.

Maybe for new users who have a post count less that 2 or 3 and who go to post a new thread or reply a message will pop-up (Like when you receive a PM) warning them that rom requests arent allowed. This should filter out most of the requests from people who havent read the rules.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Another useless idea....kinda scary

Underneath the Quality Posting...you can put a nice banner saying:

***** NO ROM REQUESTS PLEASE ! *****

Just realised how funny it looks with my sig below this... :D
Well without my sig,of course.

But still,people will ask.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Re: Another useless idea....kinda scary

Mabe everytime someone asks for roms I could drive to their house and kick them in the nuts.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member

I'd think modifying the registration page would be more useful. That way only
new users would get the warnings, not users who registered ages ago.

But really... are there THAT many idiots asking for ROMs here? Surely the one
or two per month that pop up can be handled with. Of course I don't visit this
forum that often, so I don't know how many ROM requesters there are...

Jale

There were like months ago, but now there are some that don't understand current gen consoles can't be emulated (PS2, GCN, Xbox, PSP and DS).

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

I'd think modifying the registration page would be more useful. That way only
new users would get the warnings, not users who registered ages ago.

Already did that weeks ago.
Spoiler »

And yet they select the "I agree" uption...

-=VampyR=-

Immortal

You need to say "No ROM Requests" in RED on that pop-up Lefteris_D,if you want people to stop asking,so they'll know that by joining they don't find game heaven in here...only emu-tech support.

Please read the rules on THIS PAGE is not enough.
I didn't read the rules when I joined,but had common sense of not asking which might be forbidden.Then again,I didn't need to ask. :D
It's not like there's one secret place where all the roms are free...and it's all about a coded access through 5 sites or so...GOOGLE !...ffs.

Jale

That's not the problem. It's just that some people are really stupid.

Zach

My opinion is unpopular but I still remain adamant that automatic banning on ROM requests is the only way to spread the message that The Emulator Zone does not tolerate such things.

If we ban someone and he and his friends are like "He's a good guy plz unban ok?" "omg why did you do that he's cool, he won't do it again" etc.. Well, that's tough crap. If people are so noble they won't be asking in the first place, and they will have been smart and courteous enough to have read, and respected the rules. That's my opinion on ROM requests.

The reason you go to other forums and see instant bans, a community that behaves, and for the most part, respect and treat each other like adults, is because they have a no nonsense attitude either from the beginner, or at some point.

EZ has been notoriously weak when it comes to this type of moderation, so I'm not even sure why there is a "No ROM Requests" rule anyway, to be honest. We might as well allow it since we get walked all over when we try to enforce the rules and be polite with members anyway.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
My personal policy has been "ban on second request" for a long time now.

That way the person gets a second choice. To stay if he/she actually plans to post things other than the request(+ have a chance to actually read the rules) or leave once it's clear that such requests are not going to be fulfilled.

It's rather simple and it works instead of the ban on sight.

Zach

My personal policy has been "ban on second request" for a long time now.

That way the person gets a second choice. To stay if he/she actually plans to post things other than the request(+ have a chance to actually read the rules) or leave once it's clear that such requests are not going to be fulfilled.

It's rather simple and it works instead of the ban on sight.

This works also

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
We have that system @Romshare, where I moderate. For most illegal ROM requests (we do not allow ROMs of systems that are still active, others are allowed) people are banned or put on ban warning.
I'm just a mod, not a smod, so I can't ban. But the smods mostly use the system of banning people directly who do an illegal ROM request as a first post and putting others on a ban warning.
It works well that way. We don't have many bans, but we do have the name of being too strict.