Emulator operating system?

For as long as ive been using a pc i have had some type of emulator. i must have gone through 50 of em. and each one had the same limiting factor, the operating system that the emu runs on will always eat up some of the cpu time that could be going to the emu. so after a little brainstorming i figured the best way to get around the problem was to creat an emulator that was installed or booted on a pc as its own operating system. this way the emu could use all of the proccesors power, ram, and whatever else is present in a pc. i have tried DOS emulators but they seem to be limmited by the settings DOS has.

So i guess my question is weather a emu operating system could be made, for example maybe one for the playstation? i think it would be a great way to put old pcs like a 450mhz to use as a custum built console. it would also present the abillity to upgrade, something i cant do to my playtation.

Is it possible?

It's possible (although extremely unlikely) and generally not even feasible.

Zach

Unless someone is going to code it old school in assembler, or some wicked ass DOS based C/C++, it won't happen. As for needing multimedia drivers, etc, well that is largely dependant on how capable the Emu-OS would be. A lot of hardware does have industry standard command responses, so "generic" drivers are certainly possible. for older systems, don't know how they would do 3D tho

Last edited:
that what i was thinking as far as coding went. i would take the time to code it myself but i dont know much about any coding language. although it would be great if someone did pull it off.

Zach

It wouldn't matter at this point. It would take a dedicated programing student, or a group of students many hundreds of hours of hard work to produce something even remotely capable of playing something. Especially if they were working in x86 assembly (or even x64)

Last edited:

Taipan

imo Linux would probably go alright for something like this. although i have never used it b4 it is fully progamable dono how much of the CPU it uses...

All of those systems that get emulated are operating systems themselves <_<. Its just like how people run macs and linuxes under windows and vice versa. The best way to emulate them on barebone system would not be coming up with an emulator o/s but somehow transform the code being emulated to run on native hardware. Of course...that would not be suitable for most cases because of the differences in system architecture =( I guess they are fine just the way they are. You can only hope that emulator coders optimise their programs more so it takes up less resources and runs faster.