PSP and emulation.

Ok so Im not a complete idiot to emulation/emulators..I regulary play many console titles on my computer.
But heres the deal..
I wanna play emulated games on my PSP.

Now Ive gathered some info from these forums and such, I kinda get it..kinda dont.
Heres what I do know and what I have.

ATM I only have 512 mem. stick..hope that will hold 1 or 2 games plus an emulator.
I "did" have a 1.5 PsP..but thanks to Monster Hunter Freedom..I now I have 2.6 firmware:mad: but alas..great game.
I do have a old copy of GTA, so that makes it possible to use the emulator from a save file right?:confused:
But from what it looks like everything is pointed at "Homebrew", which seems cool..but non of the game seem to intrest me, what little Ive seen.

Basically what Id like to do is use an emulator to play other system titles, mostly PS1/N64/NES/SNES etc.. Im expecting that Ps2 titles are impossble atm.

So is there anyway to DL an emulator then load in what ever ROMS I have and play them?

Lastly...whats the deal or ETA on an official emulator from sony? I have heard that one is in the works that will allow PS1/2 titles?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Heres a little guide i made that should explain what options you have. Basically you have everything to run homebrew on your PSP either through the eloader or by downgrading to 1.5 (Check you PCB version first) There are SNES, NES, GB, GBC and MEGADRIVE/GENESIS emulators that run at decent speeds. The N64 is being worked on and is making excellent progress. No news on the PS1 emulator from sony but i expect we will be buying PSP formatted PS1 games from sony.

Which firmwares support homebrew?
1.00 - Full homebrew support from the system menu
1.5 - Full homebrew support from the system menu (Requires the EBOOT.PBP to be KXploit'd)
1.51 - No homebrew
1.52 - No homebrew
2.00 - Homebrew only using the eloader and you can also downgrade to 1.5 using the MPH Downgrader
2.01 - Homebrew only using the eloader (Upgrade to 2.5 or 2.6 to downgrade to 1.5)
2.5 - Homebrew only using the eloader and you can also downgrade to 1.5 using the Downdater
2.6 - Homebrew only using the eloader and you can also downgrade to 1.5 using the Downdater
2.7 - No homebrew
2.71 - No homebrew
2.80 - No homebrew

*The Undiluted platinum modchip allows you to run full homebrew no matter what version firmware you have. This modchip doesnt support PCB version TA-082.

What are EBOOT's and how do i install them?
EBOOT's are the main executable that run on the PSP, much like what .exe are for windows. Each EBOOT has its own folder. Firmware 1.00 and 2.00 - 2.6 only require one EBOOT to run, firmware 1.5 require the eboot to be KXploit'd so you have two EBOOT's in to seprate folders which both the same name except one eboot has a % after the foldername. Alternativly to can rename the folder from something and something% to __SCE__something and %__SCE_something, this will hide the corrupt icons. There are programs that can KXploit EBOOT's for you such as "Sei PSP Tool" but most homebrew is already KXploit'd.

(File tree for Firmware 1.00, 2.00 - 2.6)
X:\PSP\GAME\PSPVBA_1.2.1\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\LUAPLAYER V0.20\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\IRSHELL\EBOOT.PBP

(File tree for Firmware 1.5, corrupted icons)
X:\PSP\GAME\PSPVBA_1.2.1%\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\PSPVBA_1.2.1\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\LUAPLAYER V0.20%\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\LUAPLAYER V0.20\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\IRSHELL%\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\IRSHELL\EBOOT.PBP

(File tree for Firmware 1.5, corrupted icons hidden)
X:\PSP\GAME\%__SCE__PSPVBA_1.2.1\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\__SCE__PSPVBA_1.2.1\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\%__SCE__LUAPLAYER V0.20\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\__SCE__LUAPLAYER V0.20\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\%__SCE__IRSHELL\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\__SCE__IRSHELL\EBOOT.PBP

How to install the eloader
The eloader allows you to execute homebrew apps and games from a menu once you have run the exploited save file threw GTA LCS

1. Check your firmware version.
Firmware 2.00 can use either the GTA or the .TIFF method to load the eloader and can run user mode and some kernel mode EBOOT's
Firmware 2.01 - 2.6 can only use the GTA method and can only run user mode EBOOT's

2. Check that your version of GTA LCS isnt the patched version
!f your verion requires the 2.00 firmware then it is the unpatched version,
Iif it require 2.6 then it is the patched version and you will not be able to run homebrew on your PSP.)

3. Download and install the latest version of the eloader
The latest version 0.97 can be download from here
If you downloaded the zip file just extract the contains in to the root of your memory stick (I.E. X:\ )
Or you can use the automatic installer and choose which method you are going to use (I.E. GTA or .TIFF) and the program will automatically create the files a nd folders on your PSP.

Automated installer - 719KB
Zip File - 1,123KB

How to downgrade your PSP from 2.01, 2.5 or 2.6 to 1.5
1. First of all check what version PCB (Printed Circuit Board) your PSP has. If you dont check and your PCB is version TA-082 then your PSP will "brick" and will no longer work
Open up the UMD drive and look it toward the mechanics of the PSP and look to if you can see "IC1003" printed on the green circuit board.
If you can clearly see "IC1003" then your PSP is version is TA-082 and CANNOT be downgrade to 1.5.

2. Check your firmware version.
If you have firmware 2.01 then upgrade to 2.5 or 2.6.
2.71, 2.7 and 2.8 arent supported.

3. If you havent already install the eloader using the metod above.

4. Download the "downdater" from here http://www.PSP-hacks.com/file/598 - 9,739KB
Extract the contains to your HDD.

5. Installing the Downdater
Create the folder named "DOWNGRADER" without the quote in X:\PSP\GAME
If you have firmware 2.5 then copy \2.60\DOWNDATERTEST and its contents into the DOWNGRADER folder you just created.
If you have firmware 2.6 then copy \2.50\DOWNDATERTEST and its contents into the DOWNGRADER folder you just created.
Copy the DOWNDATER folder and its contains into the root of your memory stick. X:\DOWNDATER

Your memory stick should look like this -

X:\PSP\GAME\2.50\DOWNDATERTEST\EBOOT.PBP
X:\DOWNDATER\DUMP (There should 5 more folders in here with more folders and files in side them)
X:\DOWNDATER\PRX (There should 7 more files in here each with the .PRX extension)
X:\DOWNDATER\inputfl.bin
X:\DOWNDATER\outputfl.bin
X:\PSP\GAME

6. Flashing your PSP back down to 1.5
Plug in your AC adapter
IMPORTANT! - DO NOT TAKE THE AC ADAPTER OUT WHEN FLASHING YOUR PSP ELSE IT WILL NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY)
Run GTA LCS and in turn the eloader will load up. Then select the DOWNDATER program.
IMPORTANT! - You will not see and output on the screen will the PSP is being flashed. The memory wtick light its self will flash do not attempt to turn the PSP off or take the batter out or the charger, just leave it to do
its business and after 1-2 minutes the PSP will restart its self.

7. UMD Drive Error!!!!!!
After the PSP has restarted its self and boots up to the menu correctly turn the PSP off and take the battery out (And pull AC adapter out) and leave the PSP for a few minutes then
put the battery back in.

8. This isnt nessecary but i personally recommend that you update to 2.00 and use the MPH downgrader to downgrade back to 1.5
There 2.00 update can be downloaded from here
See below

How to downgrade your PSP from 2.00 to 1.5
1. Check your firmware version.
Only version 2.00 can be downgraded using this method.

2. Download the downgrader from here
You may get a fasle positive when downloading this zip file as most antivirus software detects this as a trojan. (Not long after this downgrader was released someone create a "bricker" using the source code from

this downgrader so most antivirus software incorrectly detects this as the trojan)
Extract the contains into the root of your PSP.

3. Download the 1.5 update from here

4. Version Tricking
Attempt to view photos from the photo menu on your PSP.
Your PSP should freeze then some numbers should appear in the top left hand corner of the screen.

5. Updating/Downgrading your PSP
Once the number have stopped change pull the battery out the stick it back in then insert the AC adapter (Remember! DONT TAKE THE AC ADAPTER OUT) run the 1.5 update.
Except the licensing agreement, blah blah blah. After the PSP has finished flashing you should be running firmware 1.5

Last edited:

Mully

I'm just curious if the GTA method to run the eloader for homebrew games and applications works with firmware version 2.8? Does someone know?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
I'm just curious if the GTA method to run the eloader for homebrew games and applications works with firmware version 2.8? Does someone know?

Nope. Sony patched the exploit in the 2.7 update soanything past that has been patched. Also newer version of GTA LCS have patched the exploit so the eloader wont even run on 2.00+ if its patched.