Why isnt ScummVM on this site?

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Why is the open source emulater, ScummVM not anywhere to be found on this site? Its a really great project! And emulater!

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
With the emulators on this site you can emulate on your PC an other system. With ScummVM you play PC games on your PC. I think it is an interpreter, not an emulator.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
alcoatjez is correct. ScummVM is an open source implementation of the SCUMM engine, not an emulator.

It's like Microsoft DOS and FreeDOS.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
But theres alot of ports for ScummVM! From PSP to Dreamcast, so it alows pc games on other systems! Emulator...?

I don't think it would qualify as an emulator...

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
... Sorry for bringing it up... Seems I'm the only one thinking so...

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I can play Doom and Quake on my PSP with it. I think it qualifies as an emulator.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
HAHA... AnAutisticDog you made a big mistake by digging this thread up. People around here seem to not like ScummVM for some reason.

But it is on most other emulator sites. most likely because it has a port on almost every system.

Ports:
Windows
Fedora 7
Fedora Core 5 and 6
Debian 4.0
SlackWare
Mac OS X
PSP (PlayStation Portable)
Nintendo DS
Symbian S60
Symbian UIQ 3
PalmOS 5
PalmOS Tapwave Zodiac
Windows CE ARM
Dreamcast
GP2X
Solaris 8
Solaris 10
BeOS
AmigaOS 4
Atari/FreeMiNT
OS/2
PlayStation2
Windows 64

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Maybe its the name.
ScummVM
ScummVM
ScummVM
LOL

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
With the emulators on this site you can emulate on your PC an other system. With ScummVM you play PC games on your PC. I think it is an interpreter, not an emulator.

Now that I think about, isnt DOSBox the same thing, and on this site under "computer".

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
OHHHHHHHHH. The tables have turned:glare:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I'll quote myself again.
ScummVM is an open source implementation of the SCUMM engine, not an emulator.

The SCUMM engine was never a console or system. It's an gaming engine that some people reverse engineered(it was closed source commercial software) and ported to newer operating systems. In a sense however you can say that it is "emulated" in newer operated systems.

I might add it over the weekend.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I'll quote myself again.

The SCUMM engine was never a console or system. It's an gaming engine that some people reverse engineered(it was closed source commercial software) and ported to newer operating systems. In a sense however you can say that it is "emulated" in newer operated systems.

I might add it over the weekend.

Cool