Attempting to Run Yoshi's Story

taiga

I've never had any difficulty with N64 emulation, but suddenly I'm getting nothing but errors. I'm hoping a little help with plugins and video settings etc. can be provided to me here.

Okay, so the only game I want to play is Yoshi's Story. I know my PC is up for it, I had it working on this exact computer less than 6 months ago. At that time I was using Project 64 (I don't know why I ended up deleting it all.) For some odd reason, Project 64 is completely dying on me this time.

Here are the errors I get:

On Start Up

"Graphics Error! Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device. Make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct 3D 6.0"

When Plugin Settings Window is Opened

"Error! The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid. Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder."

(Both of these errors occur again when I try to change plugins.)

When I Attempt to Run Yoshi's Story

"Error! Cannot open a rom because plugin settings have not successfully initialised."

With all these errors, I gave up on Project 64 and turned to 1964. This runs the rom, but with huge graphical errors and at an extremely slow speed, making it literally impossible to play. I had to mess around with and download a few plugins (which all installed successfully) but nothing is making the game run as smoothly as it did before.

Below is the best I can get by messing with certain plugins I have downloaded:

funfun.gif

And

yoshisuckage.gif

(This is with the Gin64 v0.4.1 Video plugin and Schibo's Audio Plugin 1.2. Pretty bad, eh?)

Another thing I noticed is that most of the video plugins have pointed out that they work with DirectX. When I try to load the rom with the DirectX settings I get an error message saying "str. Error to load video". I was sure that I had Directx, but when I looked into the System32 file that said "DirectX" on it, all I saw were a bunch of bmp images of PC Controllers, which I found very strange. I decided to go to the DirectX website and download the newest version (9.0). When the download and installation were completed, DirectX told me I had to restart my computer. I restarted it, but I see absolutely no indication that DirectX was installed. There is no new DirectX 9.0 directory in System32 and absolutely no new files in the old DirectX directory. I find myself... well... really, really confused.

I just want to play Yoshi's Story ;_;

Anyone have any ideas?

J

Jet Set Willy

"Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device." - means the DirectX is installed and working fine, but can't access initialise your graphics acceleration hardware (HAL = Hardware Acceleration Layer). Check your video drivers.

taiga

Three things:

1. I don't know how to check my video drivers.

2. Even if I knew how to check my video drivers, I wouldn't be able to recognize if there was a problem with one of them.

3. Even if I could recognize that problem, I wouldn't know how to fix it.

:/

J

Jet Set Willy

Use dxdiag (Start>Run>"dxdiag") to see what it says about your video card. Install the appropriate drivers.