system Specs

Bern1022

alrite heres my problem i have a very basic computer and I was wondering if anyone knows how i can upgrade my MHz for free? are the downloads anywhere that i can get this? are the free downloads anywhere of pentium processors also? if you have absolutely ANY suggestions on where to go for help i would be very thankful.

J

Jet Set Willy

One word: No. Don't bother trying.

All you can do is make the most of what you have. Close down all other programs when you're playing a game or an emulator or something. Don't run pointless things.

Nick

Lemon is correct. There aren't any programs for you that will boost up your speed. Nor are you physically capable of downloading a new CPU...

beefcakes

although, there is rumor - I dont remember where I read it - that Europe was to try some sort of processor sharing technique. Something to the effect of those with powerfull computers and fast connections use some of thier computing power to hekp other computers that were less powerful. I don't really understand it all myself, but I belive they had named it "DataGrid".

Not too sure though - will search around and see if I can find information on it.

J

Jet Set Willy

Distributed computing. Something that's been done a lot of times, but never in a commercial sense involving customers and the like.

One day all computer resources will come from various high powered centers. Our "computers" at home will be nothing more than simple network interfaces, accessing remote resources for a subscription fee.

beefcakes

exactly, do you know when that is suppose to be up and running? As I mentioned, I belive Europe was suposed to test something to that nature. I am just curious how well such a thing would work, for that matter how well people accept it.

I see only one problem with it all. I know I could never see myself paying monthly for my computing power. I have this need to own my own kick ass machine, and be able to call it mine. Distributed computing would take the fun out of it, and it probably wont come cheap.

J

Jet Set Willy

It's no use for general computer use yet. Networks are too slow, and the processing resources would soon get clogged up (think about how easily a server gets bogged down...)/

El Fugitivo

Originally posted by beefcakes@Mar 18 2004, 09:07 AM
exactly, do you know when that is suppose to be up and running? As I mentioned, I belive Europe was suposed to test something to that nature. I am just curious how well such a thing would work, for that matter how well people accept it.

I see only one problem with it all. I know I could never see myself paying monthly for my computing power. I have this need to own my own kick ass machine, and be able to call it mine. Distributed computing would take the fun out of it, and it probably wont come cheap.
You could still have a kick-ass machine, it's just that comparing it with another would be more like comparing televisions today. People have different televisions, but for all intents and purposes they get the same a/v feed. Everybody's watching the same thing, some just watch it on 60' high-definition LCD televisions while others are stuck on 13" TVs they got at garage sales.