Control Scheme question

Spartan-048

Hey, me again. I hate those Join-up-to-ask-a-question-then-never-come-back people, and I'd like to be one even less, so i'll poke around for a bit. Anyway, to the point, I Downloaded Mupen 64 (the early build) and went through its Read-me, after skimming the less important parts, i came to the controls section. Here it said to use the arrow keys to control the analog and i was like "WTF?" that'd be even worse than using the god-forsaken analog stick :| I figured that i could buy a USB gamepad but at the moment i have no money, and after thinking about it would love to play through Perfect Dark with the Accuracy of a mouse and Keyboard. Is this do-able? If so, how? If not, why not?

Zach

Nope.

If it could be done, it would likely take an inordinate amount of time to program all the right calibrations and control ranges for the keyboard and mouse to emulate controller functions in that manner. And whats more, the N64 and its games were never designed with keyboard and mouse functionality to begin with.

Best to just save up and buy a PSX/N64 combo adapter, so you can plug controllers for those systems into your PC (via USB). Or just buy a cheap controller with a d-pad and analog stick(s). If you go the cheap PC controller route, try and find a controller without a single piece D-pad (you'd want one like a PSX d-pad). They are notorious for registering diagnols when you are not trying to use them.