S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Spekkio

Banned
About time this game got a topic.

For those of you who don't know it the setting is around Chernobyl, USSR.
In 2006 the reactor in the still existing USSR explodes tossing a poisonous gas cloud over 30 kilometres around it.
The army closes the area down and things mutate in there.
That's the nutshell story.

You play a STALKER, people who go into that zone to get valuables and just explore.

Inside that area you'll find other stalkers, freak show monsters, and government personell.
You can be friendly or hostile towards other stalkers, all you have to do is watch out that they don't steal whatever you're after first.

As far as I'm concerned this is going to be a smash hit, with multiplayer options, and it doesn't look too bad either.

Anyone else here going to buy it?

Nick

I've been watching the development of this game for more then a year now. There was a certain build of it leaked...that too :)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R and the whole 'Zone" scenario...a large part of the game is supposedly built and based on the 1979 Russian movie, Stalker.

More on the movie can be found here, you can probably see how it goes hand in hand with the game at some points movie link

Spekkio

Banned
Originally posted by Nick@Mar 13 2004, 07:08 PM
I've been watching the development of this game for more then a year now. There was a certain build of it leaked...that too :)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R and the whole 'Zone" scenario...a large part of the game is supposedly built and based on the 1979 Russian movie, Stalker.

More on the movie can be found here, you can probably see how it goes hand in hand with the game at some points movie link
So this entire plot line as far as it has it is based on the movie?
Interesting to know.

Also: did you notice the odd physics in some of the trailers?
The ragdolls looked a bit odd at times, and I recall seeing player models kinda 'surf' over the surface, do you know if that has been fixed already?
Aside from those two fixable bugs I found it looking great, I'm just waiting for an official demo, if there will be one.
The alpha would make me biased towards it because I'd base my opinion on an unfinished product.

Can you tell me how the alpha played (reg: AI and weapons)

El Fugitivo

Is this going to be third or first person? If third, is it going to be over-the shoulder (like GTA3) or fixed (like Diablo).

Spekkio

Banned
Originally posted by El Fugitivo@Mar 13 2004, 10:48 PM
Is this going to be third or first person? If third, is it going to be over-the shoulder (like GTA3) or fixed (like Diablo).
First.
It's essentially a shooter with some rpg influences.

Not stat beefing, but more how you react to your surroundings
Shoot stalkers, and his buddies will shoot you, that sort of thing.

Agret

DanielW said:
that game looks so damn good, will have to update my 3yr old pc though :(
idk, engines scale well these days my 4 year old pc can play doom3 and half-life 2 at the moment :D

AMD Athlon 1300+
Geforce 3 Ti 128mb

Interesting stuff. :confused:

Agret

Ah sorry guys, just signed up and the forum has the default view as oldest first for some reason (Someone want to fix that?)

montpics

Check the date first before you try posting. Mostly I only view New Post on the next day right after I signed up this forum. :cool: