I have 1337 photoshop skillz

Nick

Too much near negative space for such a large image! :)

Under ' games ' three thumbnails would have, I believe, looked better then two. Also contrast is a bit dim on them, and maybe if some were to have a border, it would also improve it.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I find it funny that when I suggested that we should release a PDF magazine everyone thought I was kidding. Perhaps I should team up with you the next time I suggest that... <_<

Zach

A third image would do nicely.

I kind of like the margins tho.. I'm going to move the issue # in a tad as well.

Maybe find a decent graphic to blend into the center.

J

Jet Set Willy

There is too much blank space - and the JPEG compression really kills it.

Lefteris - a magazine needs people who can write.

Nick

And people who are interested in writing and care for it. If it's something that, in order to complete, those people have to force themselves to write...that's not good. You should write because you care for it and you want to, rather then because someone says that you need to for the better good/benefit of something . My reasoning, anyway.

J

Jet Set Willy

Let's just say that with EZ's recent track record, a magazine would be an absolute joke.

Zach

About the compression.

I'm trying to keep the file size down and I would like to have it as pretty as possible, but its on 60 right now, and all it really does is bring out small lines in some of the gradient that you really have to look at to see clearly (unless I just have shitty eyes).

at full quality it ballons to 500k

at 80 quality its still at a hefty 230k

I may decide to try and squeeze it by at 70 (178k)

El Fugitivo

I agree about the negative space. I think if you took the large picture on the left, and blew it up so that it covered the whole page (you'd end up losing the sides of the image, and it would be be very pixelly, but so what?), and put the smaller images on top with borders or drop shadows, it would loo much neater. Also, you could put the text that corresponds to the images on the right side next to them, and then put the rest of that list down below so that the entire middle portion of the left side could be devoted to the blown-up main image.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Lemon@Mar 12 2004, 12:45 AM
Let's just say that with EZ's recent track record, a magazine would be an absolute joke.
My point exactly. The only person so far that has actualy contributed some kind of material was Rocky(can be found here). The others have been simply lazy so that is also one of the reasons that the whole project was scrapped.

El Fugitivo

Also, I don't know how much you care about spelling and grammar, but there should be an apostrophe between the 'a' and the 's' in Dracula's Revenge.

Zach

http://www.oldskoolgames.com/cover.jpg

this is a 500kb max quality image ..so beware if you are on 56k.

I kind of like the idea of blowing up a screenshot better than using a gradient.

The only thing that bugs me now is the images, as they stand out a bit. I think blending them in somewhat, and possibly reducing the number of images on the cover + placing them in certain spots may do better.

Also you'll notice the background gradient does influence the reduced opacity, giving the image a blue hue sort of background in certain areas.

Now sure weather to keep that or just do it all on black

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by Lefteris_D+Mar 11 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lefteris_D @ Mar 11 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lemon@Mar 12 2004, 12:45 AM
My point exactly. The only person so far that has actualy contributed some kind of material was Rocky(can be found here). The others have been simply lazy so that is also one of the reasons that the whole project was scrapped. [/b][/quote]
No, Lefteris, not because of other people, but because of the organisers and the current content here. People would happily get involved if the leading force behind it were a capable person.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I think something is still missing. Could you add some kind of vertical text on the left side?

Zach

Well I'm waiting for more ideas.. I try not to rush my creatiiveness.. Thats why my stuff always comes out nicely in the end. Even if people still think its shit