H2O - I dont mean water!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Definition: HTML with HTML/OS Overlays.

Is this going to be something that nobody will remember like the D programming language or Dark Basic?

Example: Building a web-based calculator is easy. Consider the code below. This simple calculator is good place to start if you're building a special-purpose calculator.
Code:
<html>
<title>Calculator</title>
<body bgcolor=white>
<<
IF Calc.Num1 = "ERROR" THEN 
  Calc.Num1 = "0" Calc.Num2 = "0" Calc.Total = "0" 
/IF
>>
<br><br>
<form method=post action=CALCULATE>
<center>
<table border=1 cellpadding=15 cellspacing=0><tr>
<td bgcolor=lightblue align=center>
<font size=4 color=red><b>CALCULATOR</b></font><br>
<font size=2><b>Select Operation &
 Click Calculate</b></font></td></tr>
<tr><td>
<table border=0>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>
<input type=submit name=Calc.MyButton value="CLEAR">
<br><br></td></tr>
<tr><td></td><td><input type=text size=7 name=Calc.Num1></td></tr>
<tr><td><select name=Calc.Op size=1>
<option value="+"> +
<option value="-"> -
<option value="/"> /
<option value="*"> *
</select></td>
<td><input type=text size=7 name=Calc.Num2></td></tr>
<tr><td>
<input type=submit name=Calc.MyButton value="Calculate>">
</td>
<td><font color=darkred><b><<Calc.Total>></b></font></td></tr>
</table>
</td></tr></table>
</center>
</html>
<<OVERLAY calculate
 IF Calc.MyButton="CLEAR" THEN
  Calc.Num1="0" Calc.Num2="0" Calc.Total="0" Calc.Op="+"
  GOTO "calculator.html"
 /IF
 IF Calc.Op = "+" THEN 
  Calc.Total = Calc.Num1 + Calc.Num2 
 ELIF Calc.Op = "-" THEN 
  Calc.Total = Calc.Num1 - Calc.Num2 
 ELIF Calc.Op = "*" THEN 
  Calc.Total = Calc.Num1 * Calc.Num2 
 ELIF Calc.Op = "/" THEN 
  Calc.Total = Calc.Num1 / Calc.Num2 
 /IF
 GOTO "calculator.html"
>>

TGS

The answer is yes.

Spekkio

Banned
What the hell does it have that the rest doesn't?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Spekkio@Mar 10 2004, 07:18 PM
The same can be asked about PHP, ASP, Perl and many other web scripting languages.

Only time will show.

Spekkio

Banned
Originally posted by Lefteris_D+Mar 11 2004, 07:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lefteris_D @ Mar 11 2004, 07:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spekkio@Mar 10 2004, 07:18 PM
The same can be asked about PHP, ASP, Perl and many other web scripting languages.

Only time will show. [/b][/quote]
PHP is established and as far as I saw you can do almost anything with it.
What does this want to do if it can't do at least what PHP can?

NightWish

NotImminentlyCollectable
Well, I tried to read the site with an open mind. They make a lot of claims but few of them convince me to look into it seriously. Furthermore when they make claims like:
Originally posted by AESTIVA White Paper
Your language is easier. It's English-like so there's no need to "comment" code.
<snip/>
The H2O "high-level interpreted" architecture means programs run about as fast as compiled C.
I can't take what they say with any level of confidence... This lack of confidence is further hit when they claim "portability" and only list a hand full of providers actually running the hosting software. <_<

Quite frankly I don't see a place for the language in any of the "public" markets -- as everyone else has said... what does it offer the others don't? We have a lot of "web"-esq languages already. It might gain following in a few business sectors. However, with Microsoft's heavily supported and "pushed" ASP.NET, free things like JSP and the widly used PHP, I don't see it's unsubstantiated claims winning anyone's hearts; or wallets.

From a personal point of view... I don't think I'll give it any more of my valuable time. It is an ugly language... Ok, I'm not a fan of high-level languages but ... it just looks clunky and untidy. Lastly any language that thinks it is ok with out comments is doomed in my book... what was the author of that document thinking...... :blink:

J

Jet Set Willy

They lost any confidence I had in them when they claimed it would be as fast as C. A good reason C is so fast is that you can implement low-level optimisations, something you clearly cannot do with this language. It just looks like some computer science students got over-excited.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding the host support issue. Based on their instructions you can install it on any virtual host as long as you have access to a cgi-bin directory and the proper chmod permissions. Can anyone bother to test it? I failed to install it to my pc due to bad apache configuration...