Converting .VOB files to .AVI.

Jale

I ripped a DVD movie and I have a .VOB and .IFO file and I want to know what program should I use to convert the .vob file into .avi file using the XviD encoder? It doesn't matter if the program is freeware or shareware, I just want a good one.

I've tried many apps like SimpleDivX and such, but they suck to me because they have built-in XviD/DivX encoders which encoding method I don't like. I want to use the XviD encoder separately, like the one you use in VirtualDub.

I have all the necessary things like VirtualDub, AC3 filters, etc... all I need is to convert the .VOB file into .AVI.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

montpics

This site helped me to convert DVD to avi with Gordian Knot Rip Pack and Codecs as well. :cool:

>CLICK HERE!<

Note : There are other sites which can solve your problem as well. :)

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Last edited:

hagbard

ffdshow might be enough for the video matter, also VitualDubmod as VampyR said

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Butters said:
VirtualDub MPEG2 crashes for me. I'll try the other tools.
If you have any trouble PM me. ;)

Last edited:

Jale

MPEG4 Direct Maker has built-in XviD encoder. Moved to the blacklist. Next, please...

Zach

Are you sure the crash wasn't related to plugins ?

Encoding can be a REAL pain in the ass.. It took me almost a week of experimenting and messing with crap to re-encode some MSK files to MPEG2 for DVD burning.

You might want to try DVD2AVI

This guide might help you along the way.. Its for turning DVD's into VCD's but the first few steps are the general idea of what you need to do.. It's likely you can interchange a lot of the steps used for outputting to your Xvid AVI and whatnot

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=59422

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Neco what is a .MSK file ?
I think it's from Corel,Autodesk or smth.

Maybe you mean an .mkv (Matroska Video) file.

Encoding is not that hard.Depends on the desired filesize.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Neco said:
my bad.. I just woke up, I meant Matroska
:D

Nevermind...I guessed it anyway. :)

hagbard

Just to mention mkv it's a container, like avi or ogm

Zach

Yeah well it was a hell of a lot easier to convert straight from the container than to dump the AVI and OGG files out and try to sync them, I'll say that much. One file had a 3 minute fucking gap between the video and audio, yet strangely synced up well left in the container.. Of course that file was jerky, so I suspect it was dropping frames to compensate for the audio.

Jale

OK, VirtualDub MPEG2 didn't crash this time. The crash was originated by the XviD encoder :dry:

Zach

I figured that was the problem. I had vsfilter causing crashes left and right and some point..

One thing you have to do sometimes is to strip your system of any codec you don't need and try working with only the ones you're going to be working with.

It will save a lot of headaches.. Codec packs = bad !

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Codec packs = bad !
Correction...Ace Mega Codecs Pack is bad.

I use K-Lite MCP and NEVER had troubles.Any movie is playable.

Zach

I had K-Lite installed when I started messing with Matroska.

Ended up with shit bombing left and right. Finally got fed up and went and hunted down particular codecs. Encoding is a tricky business, better safe than sorry I say. You can always reinstall your packs later

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Neco said:
I had K-Lite installed when I started messing with Matroska.

Ended up with shit bombing left and right. Finally got fed up and went and hunted down particular codecs. Encoding is a tricky business, better safe than sorry I say. You can always reinstall your packs later

Don't mess with something you're not familiar with.
You know the old saying: If it ain't broke,don't fix it ! :D

Butters...in case you didn't know I am a maniac,I've got to have the most popular codecs.
So,I use K-Lite MCP (that's Mega Codec Pack).The problem is that any codec pack can screw your PC if you install all the BS provided.Careful what you check when installing.
Example: NEVER install DivX anti-freeze.
I never install any Tools from K-Lite MCP except G-Spot.The rest just crap...or I have better alternatives,usually the (Tools) software is just a bunch of programs that are all included in a better program,even if that costs $$$.

BTW Butters have you succeded in converting that DVD to XviD ?

Last edited: