Rival Schools Help

jacklantern

Hello. I got some problem on my Rival school game.

I am using Mame32 v0.105, latest, I think.

The game runs but not 100% on video and sound.

My computer is at windows 98 and has a good video card. I even have warcraft 3 TFT running smoothly.

The game is already on trotle nad still moves on slow motion.

Pls, need help!

hagbard

Well, this is normal. To run arcade PSX based games (ZN1-/2) like RS on MAME at full speed you'll need a extremely powefull PC, and I think most games (probably none) won't run at full speed with today's PCs. Use ZiNc instead.
BTW It would be good to know your PC hardware

jacklantern

Well, can it run on Zinc. I'll try tha instead. Oh and btw, I got the same problem on Strider2 too. Is it also a PSX game too?

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
jacklantern said:
Well, can it run on Zinc. I'll try tha instead. Oh and btw, I got the same problem on Strider2 too. Is it also a PSX game too?
Yep...PSX game.

Be careful ZiNc is not as easy to set up as Mame.

montpics

At least you need a frontend either Aldo's Frontend or DaFreak's ZinCGUI. :cool:

Note : Strider 2 was made for Arcade before it was ported to PlayStation. :)

hagbard

Yeah, as almost every game on ZN-1/2 or System 11/12. Some said the purpose of this PSX based boards was to make easily make arcade perfect conversions to the Sony console: SFEX 1/2, Tekken 1/2/3, Strider II, etc

Last edited:

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
I'm wondering is it just me or my computer's performance

I have a

Compaq V2000
AMD Turion ML-32 1.8ghz
ATI Radeon X200 128mb shared video card
Ram 1.128mb available for use

Rival Schools and Soul Calibour run a little slow

But other games run fairly smooth

I've changed settings like sound and frame rate but still though it doesn't all to well..

Any other suggestions or should I just try with a more powerful PC?

Alkaiser

Hrm. I had both running at full speed surprisingly.

Here are my PC specs:

256 MB Ram
2.2 Ghz
Windows XP
Intergrated Video Card

Also, I used Aldo's Frontend I think and played around with the settings until I got them to play smoothly.

Strider 2
Street Fighter EX 1
Street Fighter EX 2 (slight lag every now and then)
Rival Schools

Last edited:

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
Alkaiser said:
Hrm. I had both running at full speed surprisingly.

Here are my PC specs:

256 MB Ram
2.2 Ghz
Windows XP

Also, I used Aldo's Frontend I think and played around with the settings until I got them to play smoothly.

I used Zinc and that definatly runs these games bettor then Mame

So sad my favourite capcom 3d fighter unlpayable....

and I hate using epsxe though when playing Rival Schools :(

hagbard

Concerning SC, check this thread.
Did you try to lower the resolution, color depth, texture quality/caching, etc?. Also Direct3D should be faster for you. Make sure you got the lastest versions of D3D and OGL plugins too

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
hagbard said:
Concerning SC, check this thread.
Did you try to lower the resolution, color depth, texture quality/caching, etc?. Also Direct3D should be faster for you. Make sure you got the lastest versions of D3D and OGL plugins too

For Zinc I believe so it helped a bit but.. nothing good enough to play it at a good speed..

But I will try what you suggested just now

montpics

I believe that your current PC specs is not enough to obtain a better performance.

Anyway, use Aldos' Frontend for ZinC. (Or alternatively, you can try DaFreak's Frontend as well.) :cool:

Good luck!

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
montpics said:
I believe that your current PC specs is not enough to obtain a better performance.

Anyway, use Aldos' Frontend for ZinC. (Or alternatively, you can try DaFreak's Frontend as well.) :cool:

Good luck!

Actualy I just played around with the settings and I get good results now, I was unfamiliar with the settings. However though does the GUI make a big difference?

I played around with both Front ends Aldo's and Dafreak;s and both were great

However, I noticed that Aldo's ran faster then Dafreak's a bit but Dafreaks had an easier layout to use especialy with controls configuration for control Pad.

Is there a performance difference with either GUIs ( such as graphics, audio? ) or are they the same?

montpics

Both give the same performance if you put all the settings on both Frontends. No much huge different, though DaFreak's show more friendly interface and added one GPU/Graphic plugin, while Aldo's looked better on keyboard configuration (you have to edit DaFreak's ini file as the options given is not as much as it should be.) :)

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
montpics said:
Both give the same performance if you put all the settings on both Frontends. No much huge different, though DaFreak's show more friendly interface and added one GPU/Graphic plugin, while Aldo's looked better on keyboard configuration (you have to edit DaFreak's ini file as the options given is not as much as it should be.) :)

I'm going to stick with Dafreak's its really user friendly compared to Aldo's set up.

Now that I got things workin, I'm so enjoying Rival Schools now, instead of brining my PSX to campus I bring the laptop hehe... :D