Is Your PC Ready For Vista?

Jale

Since Microsoft hasn't released the official system requirements, there are some predictions about it. It is said that about half of the computers in the world will be able to run Vista at this moment, so if you are planning to buy a new PC, you should check the following:
  • Any Intel (Pentium 4)/AMD processor should do the work (Dual core processors are recommended).
  • 512 MB of RAM. (1 to 2 GB of RAM matching bus speed recommended).
  • 1.5 or more GB of hard disk space (SATA hard drives are recommended).
  • 64 MB or better video card (DirectX 9 required for full Aero compatibility).
  • DVD writer.
  • 100 Mbps network card.
  • Latest wireless capability.
Remember that these requirements are not official and are subject to change. The estimated release date of Windows Vista is Q1 2007.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
By the time vista are out it will be time for my next upgrade so I really don't care about the requirements.

onewecallgod

half the world's PCs are probably based off CPUs that aren't superscalar. most of the people who know or even care about this obviously don't fall under the "3rd world" computing catagory, so thats a moot point. those minimums really aren't that steep

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
I don't give a sh*t about Vista.

At least I won't in the beggining.

hagbard

I'd rather ask if Vista is ready for PCs... :rolleyes:

BTW, RS is not working now

Last edited:

hagbard

[off topic]
Thanks, I guess someone forgot to renew domain name registration
[/off topic]

TheCreator

Microsoft should do a survey for PC Hardware like Valve have done. Here are my findings from the valve survey

RAM 512+ 58%
Intel CPU 1.4GHz+ 97.5%
AMD CPU 1.4 Ghz+96%
Graphics Chipset 79%
VRAM 64mb+ 96%
Bit Depth 32-bit 94%
Desktop res 96%
Drive DVD 92%
HDD 20GB 98%

About 81% of PC's on the Valve survey should be able to run Vista. But that doesn't give the full picture, as not everyone uses Steam, which is why Microsoft should do a survey.

Zach

Microsoft doesn't need to do surveys, because they set the trend in new hardware. You can bet whatever the requirements are, there is a Dell / Gateway / whoever else PC out there that will run Vista just fine. And all the more easy to make money off of.

Jale

I can honestly say, who the f*ck needs the fancy Aero theme? I want it to keep myself up-to-date and run apps designed for it. I hope the Windows Classic theme is on Vista.

There'll be five versions of this product:

Microsoft.com said:
Windows Vista Business
Regardless of the size of your organization, Windows Vista Business will help you lower your PC management costs, improve your security, enhance your productivity, and help you stay better connected.

Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Enterprise is designed to meet the needs of large global organizations with highly complex IT infrastructures. Windows Vista Enterprise can help you lower your IT costs while providing additional layers of protection for your sensitive data.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Whether you choose to use your PC to write e-mail and surf the Internet, for home entertainment, or to track your household expenses, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers a more complete and satisfying computing experience.

Windows Vista Ultimate
If you want all of the best business features, all of the best mobility features, and all of the best home entertainment features that Windows Vista has to offer, Windows Vista Ultimate is the solution for you. With Windows Vista Ultimate you don't have to compromise.

Windows Vista Home Basic

Windows Vista Home Basic is designed to deliver improved reliability, security, and usability to home PC users who just want to do the basics with their PCs.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
I had transfirmed my WinXp in so many ways with visual styles,widgets,transparency,WMP11 skins,all kinds of plugins that a theme like Aero looks childish.

I hope Vista will have less bugs on it.The look is not important.

TheCreator

At least with aeroglass, computer manufacturers will care about 3D graphics if they have "full aeroglass support" for their computers in the back of their heads, so computer manufacturers will put some decent graphics chipset in their PC's that can run modern games, instead of flogging off "Value family systems" with intel extreme graphics or whatever. Sure, they wouldn' trun modern games extremely well, but at least someone who's not computer ltierate can buy Quake IV and play it on a low-medium level without a message telling you the graphcis are too rubbish.

Jale

That's good, only that I need to upgrade my video card. It requires DirectX 9 and mine is DirectX 8.1, but I have Pixel Shader 2.0.