Help emulating Atari Kid's Controller

egg

Does anybody know how to set up Stella 2.1 (or any other 2600 emu) to use the Atari Kid's Controller?? It seems that maybe 2-3 of the buttons are mapped to random keyboard keys by default, but I can't seem to figure out any rhyme or reason behind it. I'd like to be able to map all the buttons to keys of my choice.

Zach

I don't think it is intended to be used as a game controller in the way you are thinking. You're better off using a regular controller for Stella. Unless the controller came with software that is installed, and you know how to use it to map keys to a keyboard function, then I don't think you'll have much success

egg

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're saying, but the particular games I want to play require this controller. They do not function with a standard controller.

I was partially sucessful by mapping the "P1 Keyboard" controls in Stella to my keypad using the same layout as on the Kid's Controller. The link I provided says that it is "functionally the same as a touchpad or keyboard controller", so theoretically this should work.

It does work....with about 50% of the games that used this controller. For some reason the remaining 50% of the games that used this same controller don't respond at all. I can't figure out why this is. Possibly bad roms??

Zach

The only thing I can think of, is that it may need to have specific support for the controller coded into the emulator itself

egg

Probably, but if "functionality is the same as a touchpad or keyboard controller" than they should be able to be used interchangably without any difference to the emulator or game.

It's a shame that there aren't any decent Atari 2600 emulators. Z26 has no GUI whatsoever, and Stella is merely "acceptable".

Zach

It's just one of those situations where nothing can be done I guess. Your best bet it to bug Stella's developer about it and hope he answers.

egg

Neco said:
It's just one of those situations where nothing can be done I guess. Your best bet it to bug Stella's developer about it and hope he answers.
You're probably right. I'll give that a shot and see how it works out.