Question re: rom sets (been nagging at me)

hoggle

heya

something I dont understand I am hoping that someone here might be able to explain it for me

ive been grabbing a few (full set) rom sets lately, and as you all probably know, they come with a handful of other versions of the games (b1) (o1) etc overdump, bad dump etc... alot dont work at all.

My question is, what is the point of keeping these in the sets? Is it just a collectors thing like having every hockey card? Why do the bad dumps etc even get released?

Hoping someone can fill me in

Thanks in advance

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
hoggle said:
Why do the bad dumps etc even get released?

Because they don't know it's bad. If just a small thing goes wrong while dumping, the dump can be bad. Sometimes a bad dump is only found after doing a redump.

Genome

north west south west
i personally dont consider multiple languages and bad dumps/hacks part of the sets. i dont know why (sorry german and french ppl...and etc) but i only consider the japanese ,europe, and usa to be set items. i cant speak japanese but the games are still fun. and europe is intresting since they censore diffrent things than america does. and of course usa b/c i live here. but in my mind thats all that there is in a complete set. everything else is just junk....and i hate it.

(not to offend ppl of other languages. i just cant speak them.)

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I mostly like the games that are commercially released. Therefore I use the No-Intro dats. They ONLY contain commercially released games, clean and no hacks, fixes, etc.

montpics

Unless you want to look for English translation for a game that was never released in US or Europe. :rolleyes:

hagbard

montpics said:
Unless you want to look for English translation for a game that was never released in US or Europe. :rolleyes:
True, but you can always check www.romhacking.net for that :p I love the auto patch feature in Znes, Snes9x or VBA

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
hagbard said:
True, but you can always check www.romhacking.net for that :p I love the auto patch feature in Znes, Snes9x or VBA

Yep, same here. I think the autpatch can give you problems, since some IPS patches require ROMs with headers (No-Intro SNES ROMs are headerless). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zach

I have custom filters setup for my sets as well. Everytime I do a major update I just double check the config with the newer goodtools (if I'm upgrading the actual program) to make sure I don't miss any new tags, then I filter all the bad dumps, overdumps, translations, hacks, etc into a single directory for deletion.

It's sometimes a pain in the ass to maintain your own config file, but it removes a lot of the headaches when you try to keep your set as pure as possible (USA, European Countries, Japan) since you don't have to sort through a huge ass list of missing roms, etc.

The number one reason(s) Cowering includes all the dumps in his sets are because it let's people know which dumps they have in the first place, obviously, it lets people collect every rom in existance if that's their thing (the card analogy is a good example) and most importantly - So people aren't constantly mailing Cowering and telling him they have a "new" rom that isn't recognized.. If people were always sending those kinds of mails, it would keep him from getting any work done on legitimate rom recognition

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
my self I'm a collector I collect them all. If I use 7z with all versions compressed together its basically the size of just one file. So I figure what the heck. Plus I some times have a need to play a jap version or hack. As you will read this opinion varies quite a bit. Just do what suits you best.

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
ulaoulao said:
Just do what suits you best.

Wise words... While I use the No-Intro dats, that does not mean I don't respect all the years of work Cowering has put in the GoodTools. I also like to check what the PD scene does, so that's why I sometimes also use the GoodTools.

hagbard

alcoatjez said:
Yep, same here. I think the autpatch can give you problems, since some IPS patches require ROMs with headers (No-Intro SNES ROMs are headerless). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right, but it's pretty easy to add or remove headers with SMC or NSRT, and many translations are very well documented wheter that's needed or not. The raw data would be the same anyway, so this is not a problem for GoodTools but for NoIntro sets as you stated above. Anyway I prefer the auto patching feature because you only have to properly rename the IPS if the ROM is correct for that patch when an update is released

Last edited: