• Welcome to the Submitted Content Forum. You may use this part of the message board to submit content for reviewing before it is posted at the main site.
    • Acceptable Material
      If it is a review it has to be one of a game or emulator.
      If it is a guide/manual it has to do with emulation(how to use an emulator etc), not a game.
      New releases - Keep in mind that we check other sites regularly for those ourselves.
    • Necessary Requirements
      You may not copy content written by another person and claim it as your own. Any material found to be breaking that requirement will be removed.
    • Images
      You may use as may images as you like. At first you will have to host them to one of the many free image hosting services available. Once your material is officially posted we will copy them on the server.

Project 64 v1.7 news

kokotas

One of the new things that have now been added in to the current beta of project 64 is low level graphics. It is slow running at 5-30 fps on my machine, so you would not want to play a game with it. Some games look great, others not so good. This version is currently available to beta user, to find out more about being involved in the beta program read about it here.

Check the pics here: http://www.emutalk.net/project64/33294-lle-gfx.html

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Great news for the N64 community. Finally after all these years the N64 will be really emulated. I'm also very curious about the MESS progress.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Yes, but the emulation is HLE, as with ePSXe for the PSX. I don't know everything about it, so perhaps someone can clarify...

hagbard

HLE, and dynamic recompiler made the emulation faster by using certain shorcuts which actually aren't "real" emulation, like Project64, ePSXe, Zinc or Radikal Bikers emu. Its main goal it's making the gfx and audio output as correct as possible, no matter if some instructions (ROM, program data) are changed, bypassed or ignored. Other side effect it's that lowers compatibility. So this kind of emulation it's somehow (only a bit) similar to simulation.

Low Level or intrerpreter style it's the way to true emulation, as MAME does, but it's much slower than HLE. Remember the speed of Radikal Bikers or ZN-1/2 games in MAME, but the results should be more accurate.

Last edited:

hagbard

No problem, actually DRC it's not the same than HLE so what I said it's pretty imprecise :p

DRC instead of executing the whole instructions like an intrerperter does, detect certain blocks to compile them on the fly to x86 instructions, and when found a known block, executes the recompiled code again, so makes a kind of shortcut.

HLE it's more complex, it's a way to replace some process with a known and faster one, to the gfx card. There some other ways too.

Last edited:

Jale

Hmmm... I though 1.5 had a lot of display problems. Have you tried the Jabo's DX8 already?

hagbard

IIRC last time I test Mario Tennis on PJ64 worked pretty good with Rice Video Plugin, a bit slow maybe, and with Jabo's D3D8 using certian fixes (PJ64 game faq) it's pretty playable

Last edited: