what is a emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jet Set Willy

You've got the right idea about emulators, but PS2 emulation hasn't progressed far enough yet that you can play the games on your PC. You also posted this topic in the wrong section of the forums. "Misc Emulation Topics" or "Playstation Emulation & Games" would have been a better choice.

ron24151

sorry!!! but what about snes, nes, ps1, xbox, and all the alike, how do you get the games on the computer? ron

J

Jet Set Willy

There are files floating around called "ROMs". You load these in the emulators to play the games. Since these are duplicates of commercial games it's usually against copyright laws to have them, so it's against the rules here to request or trade ROMs.

El Fugitivo

However, owning such ROMs is not that dangerous, as the game companies generally don't seem to care about private citizens possessing them. You can generally find these files fairly easily just by using Google, though you might have to sift through a few pages of junk results before you find a good ROM site.

SNES emulation is near-perfect, as is NES emulation. PS1 emulation is, generally speaking, fairly good. One thing to note with emulation of systems of the N64 and PS1's generation (and most all systems sine then) is that you need both an emulator and plug-ins. I believe there are a number of cosmetic issues with some games, but almost all PS1 games are emulatable with the right emulator plug-ins and settings.

playerplayer

i once put a chip in my ps1 so it could play copyed games from the computer. needless to say it didnt work. but i did find out how to play ps1 games disc on my computer but that was years ago and i dont even remember what i did or how it worked.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
playerplayer, I know your are new here but please dont dig up threads like this. Besides since 04 most people and there dog knows what an emulator is by now ;P

Outrider

In short words, an emulator is a software, which describes in programmatically manner a hardware. This hardware, rewritten as software, can be used on a completly different hardware. Game console emulators uses files (mostly) called roms. These roms are dumps (copies via special readers) from the disks or modules. You need A) an emulator and B) a rom to play such games. In some cases special roms alongside the games are needed, called BIOS roms.

For more info, I recommend you to read the Wikipedia entry about Emulation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator

Outrider

Yesterday, I answered to this thread, but still the reply is pending. Because of the Wikipedia link it includes.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
really people? the OP posted this in 04... 04, as in 8 years ago, almost to the day! Closing topic.

P.S. Outrider, dude, triple posting because you failed to understand that your links cant be displayed for the first bit is just wrong. Not that this topic really needs to be answered 8 years later but a simple "look up Emulator on wiki" would have done fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.