The most wicked emu/os/thingy

Mista Random

This is just an idea i had and dont know if anyone has done it yet but someone, or a group of people, should get together and make an emulator opperating system.

Just think, you boot up your computer to a list of gameing platforms you can choose from. you want to play ps2 so you choose that and boom, you computer is know a ps2, you put in your game, lets sayTXR0, pick up your game controller/joystick or whatever you wish to use, and play. since the emulator is the only thing running (plus the drivers to run video, sound, and human interface devices) you get the best profomance, better then a ps2 if your comp is fast enuf.

you can also use spare hard drive space to store you nes, arcade, playstation, sega, or whatever roms.

if someone can install Linux on a ps2 then i am sure you can install a ps2 softwhere on a comp.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Mista Random said:
if someone can install Linux on a ps2 then i am sure you can install a ps2 softwhere on a comp.

Nope. Do a search on Google or this forum and you will know why it isn't that simple. If it was that simple, why do developers take so long to do a console-to-PC port then?

TheCreator

It's not easy to create an OS, and this Emu-OS would just simply be another operating system with it's own applications. If your that desperate, why don't you partition your hard drive and create 2 windows partitons, one exclusively for your emus and one for general purposes, and create shortcuts on your desktop for each emu.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Mista Random said:
I know it's not simple, I just thought it was a cool idea.

The idea is definately cool, but 'not simple' is definately an understatement. F.e. it is already taking 10 years an still we don't have perfect Sega Saturn emulation. My comment was not meant to diss you, it is just that I learned (actually heard, since I can't even program myself) through the years that emulating a system is very difficult and time-consuming. Check this page for example.

Cheers, alcoatjez

Genome

north west south west
our Pcs in our lab here at school have this frontend that loads at boot. its some third party program. anyway it creates images for each operating system installed on the computer. you simply slick the image you want with your mouse and that operating system loads. you should check into linux information sites. see what there is out there and see if anyone could make a program like that. you wouldnt need a new operating system since many emulators run off of componets of the current operating systems (windows, linux, etc) all you would need is a window that loads at startup. the window could have various pictures of consoles you simply click one and it loads the console

(basically the same idea as this peice of software someone gave to the site a ways back. haggy might remember it. it had the names of the emulator you wanted in little boxes and you clicked the boxes and it was like a shortcut it would open the emulator directly. i belive he also submitted his source code for it. you should be able to build a pretty nice gui off of that. i have it installed on my desktop and i belive i still have the rar it came in. ill find it and share it if i can find it.)

you could make it the size of your screen resolution and include one of the options as "pc" by simply putting a pic of the OS box or a computer that you could click on and all it does it close the window and boom. your back on your desktop.

hope something i said sounds promising.:happy:

Jale

Mista Random said:
This is just an idea i had and dont know if anyone has done it yet but someone, or a group of people, should get together and make an emulator opperating system.

Just think, you boot up your computer to a list of gameing platforms you can choose from. you want to play ps2 so you choose that and boom, you computer is know a ps2, you put in your game, lets sayTXR0, pick up your game controller/joystick or whatever you wish to use, and play. since the emulator is the only thing running (plus the drivers to run video, sound, and human interface devices) you get the best profomance, better then a ps2 if your comp is fast enuf.

you can also use spare hard drive space to store you nes, arcade, playstation, sega, or whatever roms.

That's what basically emulation is, trying to act like a console in another platform and/or machine, but you must know that a PC does not have the same hardware and software architecture than consoles and that's what it makes emulation hard to write. Plus, nobody knows how the console's code but their own creators and therefore it requires a lot of coding skill and study the console.