Os Emus

onion_warrior

are there suck things as Operating System emulators that emulate operation systems? like one for Mac or Linux? because if there was a linux emu for windowws i would really like to know because i really wanna play me some mugen....

J

Jet Set Willy

No. Don't be thick.

You can emulate a PC inside of Windows and install whatever sort of OS you like on it, but that is slow, and still likely to be way beyond you. Fagnut.

J

Jet Set Willy

If your PC is fairly modern, you could install VirtualPC on it, and try installing some Linux distro inside of that. You won't be able to accidentally break anything then. But as I said, it'll be slow.

There are also some Linux distributions such as PhatLinux which will just install as a file on your Windows partition. You still need to leave Windows to use it, but it means that you won't break everything when you partition stuff. These distros are all old, out of date etc. so you end up having to compile everything from source and maintain a bunch of outdated packages, which is all a bit pointless and crap.

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
I don't know, it's not like it's hard to do.

Unless you want to format in FAT32 so Linux can see your files and then Windows won't let you, and neither will the software that came with the new hard drive you bought yesterday. It all wants to default to NTFS, why won't it let the user choose, it thinks it knows what's best for everyone. Then you try to install PartitionMagic, but there's some installation error so you need to wait until after school and reinstall Windows just to format your fucking hard drives.

J

Jet Set Willy

People always screw up partioning, though. And it's a nuisance if you don't know that you don't want to keep the OS.

Linux can mount NTFS filesystems.

Zach

I fucked with dual-booting once.

After learning I had no potential use for linux, and that I had just fucked my boot loader up I played god with the universe that is my hard drive.